Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By merchantms
  • 1 Post By Viktri

The IB Results are in and...

Closed Thread

The IB Results are in and...

https://www.esf.edu.hk/2019/07/07/ib-results/

https://www.lpcuwc.edu.hk/education/...ademic-results

The ESF has 10% of the global perfect scores from what I can see on that table.

Wonder what HK's overall percentage is - considering many of the other schools have had multiple perfect scores.

He has been accepted to the University of Chicago in the US to study astrophysics
    I know it's pedantic but students who go to US universities aren't accepted onto specific subjects. Students have to choose their major by the second year of the four year degree. He may just as well leave Chicago with a degree in art history.

Otherwise congrats to these students!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The ESF has 10% of the global perfect scores from what I can see on that table.

Wonder what HK's overall percentage is - considering many of the other schools have had multiple perfect scores.
    HK will always be outsized for perfect IB scores because it's the only country that combines Asian study habits with a preference for IB/international school curricula. The only similar place would be Singapore but their government school system is very well regarded and the Singaporean government makes it difficult for Singaporean nationals to attend international schools.
    shri likes this.

Asian study habits
    You said it. Not me.

Singapore had 38 perfect scores in the latest exam, but most of the schools in SG take the Nov sitting compared to May in HK, so the results from these two cities are usually not compared together.

On a whole year basis, SG probably has 15% of the whole world's perfect IB scores, HK probably has 10+%

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/over-half-of-perfect-scorers-from-spore

I find it interesting how the IB experience is so different in Asia as compared to North America.

In Hong Kong I see so many IB tutor jobs as well as IB being offered at private international schools. In my mind, it invokes the feeling of IB being a rich family's education.

My friends and I that did IB did it because we were poor and it was the only way that we could compete internationally and attend good universities on scholarships as we were coming from a less competitive country. The whole point of going through the IB program was that it didn't cost us anything. The concept of an IB tutor didn't cross my mind until a few years ago (got fliers for it in the mailbox).

Wealthy students that attended private schools (in HK, international schools) would do the SATs.

shri likes this.

So who paid for the fees to the IB organisation in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    So who paid for the fees to the IB organisation in your case?
    No clue, I'm guessing tax payers and that it comes out of the school budget.