Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By shri

School for grade12

School for grade12

Hi im planning to move here in hk to live with my parents and Im not sure what school (affordable) works best for me as I am a filipino and a non chinese speaker. Btw when I move here, I'll be in my 12th grade.Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi,

Something like 100 out of 500 or so secondary schools use English as the medium of instruction (EMI). Here is a list-you can also check the HK education bureau website. Coming in so late it may be difficult to find a place but it's worth e-mailing them all, directly, to see what you can do. There are a number of Catholic schools so if you are also Catholic (as many Filipinos are) it is worth it to mention that fact, can't hurt. Also be flexible on the grade level- like if they want to admit you as 11th grade first and see how you do, worth it even if you might end up doing an extra year. Also, if your parents are already here, have them ask around, especially if they belong to a church (I go to a Catholic church that is pretty much 100 percent Filipino, except for me- the young people go to a Cantonese elementary school but then seem to go to English medium of instruction secondary schools- I know one goes to Rosaryhill...but that might be very hard to get into at this late stage). Your parents may be able to find a school friendly to Filipino students as there are definitely schools with a number of Filipino students.

Good luck!

http://www.lcu.edu.hk/download/1415/...73Appendix.pdf

Can u recommend me a few schools that u think is possible for me to get admitted? I'm really stressed out

Like any other thread - the more specifics you can provide the better the responses will be.

- Given that you know your Date of Birth - what year will you be in, in the HK system?
    - Where would you be living?
    - Do you have a sponsor?
    - Are you in any way familiar with HK's educational system?
    - Do you speak any Canto or Mandarin at all?

It is a bit non-trivial to just walk into HK and get admitted to a school.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Anything that says "Government School" will be the cheapest, I think. And then it's down to just who has space- if you were applying for secondary one then it would be different. But now you are just looking for a school with some open spots.

Also, e-mail a few and ask the schools to recommend other schools that might have openings- they tend to know other "sister" schools' enrollments.

Do you know where you will be living? Kowloon side or HK side? Generally (it seems to me) schools on HK island are harder to get into as, on the whole, they are more "famous"/well-known.

Also there are a number of single-sex schools so, well, you know your sex and will choose accordingly. HK has more girls than boys (by a not-trivial number) so not sure if girls' schools are harder to get into as a result. In general it seems to me that a lot of single sex schools are very prestigious and hard to get into.

Also, something to consider if you are 17 or older. You can just skip secondary school and attend classes at somewhere like the Open University of HK (part-time/distance learning type program). They have live meeting a couple of times per month, teach in English for most classes and no admissions requirements other than being 17. There are also any number of low-cost online programs for study as well. You can get a full degree at OUHK (I did it) and, while not a prestigious school, you can get a job if you major in a subject in demand like accounting/finance, engineering, etc. I think there are entrance requirements for nursing and education degrees.

Part-time (distance learning) programmes/ courses - Admission/Registration | The Open University of Hong Kong

Im turning 18 next year. What if I just study here in college?will that be easy?i live in the HongKong side.

I don't know if you mean "college" as in university or "college" the way the British use it for higher forms in secondary school (HK uses it in a similar way). If you want to do university, like I said, OUHK takes everyone over 17- some of the community colleges may be the same way. I had a niece who dropped out of high school in the US and she just went to community college and earned a certificate (she could have then transferred into a 4-year university but had no interest in doing so).

Here is a list of post-secondary schools- see what the community colleges need for admission. They may want a high school diploma...
    https://www.studyinhongkong.edu.hk/e...equirement.php

Treat talking to schools like a job interview. They only want the best, and screw the rest. They have no obligation to take you, so bring out every award you have, especially in academics. Expect to be interviewed before admission. If all else fails, get the government to assign a high school for you, that has to take you.

12th grade is going to be a tough sell for them too. My kid (much younger) went through all this a year ago. Getting in is easy at the entrance grade level, much harder at higher grade levels.