Like Tree4Likes

Conversion Exam for PCLL Entry - UK Graduate

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by loser:
    Pin is right - for the amount of hours you have to put in, it ain't great. I am talking from experience. Can you imagine, the trainees here work crazy hours and are underpaid? I once left my house-keys in the office. I came back at 9:30 after dinner outside and the trainees were still at the office.
    I would be interested to hear what other front office positions would you suggest for people in HK where hours and pay are better. Lawyers in HK always complain about their pay, but we are paid pretty well compared to the rest of HK society (auditors have it much worse in terms of pay and treatment!).

    As for hours - sorry but its not just trainees who may need to work long hours. Associates, senior associates, counsels, partners - you work anytime, anywhere in order to deliver what the client wants. You must work for a pretty well balance law firm if only the trainees need to stay until 9:30pm, and 9:30pm is considered really late lol.

    Pay and working hours also vary greatly depending on the firm you join and the department you work in (US vs local vs UK firm, general litigation vs arbitration vs IPO for example). If having your life revolve around work isn't for you, accumulate enough experience and go in-house. Most who do do not regret their decision. There are options.
    klaudia1 likes this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,246

    Most entry level positions in HK, including lawyers, are now filled by Mainland graduates who are willing to work for shit pay just to be able to get a visa and HKID.

    Trainee lawyers from the Mainland working at SOEs make something like 20k a month.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    My advice, don't become a lawyer. Reward is shit for the hours you have to work.
    Make it sound so horrible! You need to change employers!

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineer:
    I would be interested to hear what other front office positions would you suggest for people in HK where hours and pay are better. Lawyers in HK always complain about their pay, but we are paid pretty well compared to the rest of HK society (auditors have it much worse in terms of pay and treatment!).

    As for hours - sorry but its not just trainees who may need to work long hours. Associates, senior associates, counsels, partners - you work anytime, anywhere in order to deliver what the client wants. You must work for a pretty well balance law firm if only the trainees need to stay until 9:30pm, and 9:30pm is considered really late lol.

    Pay and working hours also vary greatly depending on the firm you join and the department you work in (US vs local vs UK firm, general litigation vs arbitration vs IPO for example). If having your life revolve around work isn't for you, accumulate enough experience and go in-house. Most who do do not regret their decision. There are options.
    Hi imagineer,

    Thank you kindly for your advice, much appreciated! I am aware of the long gruelling hours in the path to becoming a lawyer and the legal industry in general, also contemplating of becoming an in-house counsel as well, only time will tell when my resilience is put to the test.. I think one of my other main concerns post PCLL would be securing a TC. I know of how competitive it is, just wondering if language plays a pivotal role. I may be put at a disadvantage for not being a native Canto and Putonghua speaker. Are international firms more likely to hire local grads instead of foreign grads? What are the 'tricks' to the system if any?

    I do know of the OLQE foreign registered lawyer option, but I'm doubtful that HK firms would most likely require Malaysian qualified lawyers' expertise (unless it's specialised??), please correct me if I'm wrong though. I have spoken to a lawyer from a UK firm here, he did mention that if possible, avoid being qualified from there. Any insights would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by klaudia1; 26-09-2019 at 01:56 PM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Make it sound so horrible! You need to change employers!
    Speaking of employers, anyone looking to hire an intern/paralegal? I have applied to more than 20 jobs, so far have only received 1 interview. Not secured yet, so keeping my options open!!

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Most entry level positions in HK, including lawyers, are now filled by Mainland graduates who are willing to work for shit pay just to be able to get a visa and HKID.

    Trainee lawyers from the Mainland working at SOEs make something like 20k a month.
    In light of the recent economic events since June, would you reckon jobs will still be filled by Mainland graduates in the coming years? Would they still be a competition?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by loser:
    Pin is right - for the amount of hours you have to put in, it ain't great. I am talking from experience. Can you imagine, the trainees here work crazy hours and are underpaid? I once left my house-keys in the office. I came back at 9:30 after dinner outside and the trainees were still at the office.

    If you want to do it, i find that it is easier to get qualified overseas and then come as an experienced lawyer. If you practice an area that is global/international, you wouldn't need PCLL. You can get registered as a Foreign Lawyer if you meet their requirements.
    I am aware of the long crazy hours and mentally preparing for what comes ahead.. Also I reckon it is similar to every other firm in most countries globally. I guess my perspective is optimising my energy that my 'youth' gives prior to settling down the road .

    I have thought about qualifying overseas, however I am unsure (I might be wrong) if Malaysian qualified lawyers are highly sought after in HK. Msia bar is my second "safe" option if I decide not to pursue PCLL (I am from Msia).

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Most entry level positions in HK, including lawyers, are now filled by Mainland graduates who are willing to work for shit pay just to be able to get a visa and HKID.

    Trainee lawyers from the Mainland working at SOEs make something like 20k a month.
    That's why there's so much terrible legal work product floating about.

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2