Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Local Kindergartens - Chinese Characters

Local Kindergartens - Chinese Characters

So for those of you with / had kids in local kindergartens, how many Chinese characters can they write by the end of K3? How about reading?

write about 50-60 words. read about 100-200

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman
    write about 50-60 words. read about 100-200
    depends which kindergarten, some as high as write about 100 words. read about 200-300
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    depends which kindergarten, some as high as write about 100 words. read about 200-300
    yes, my kid was at precious blood
    imparanoic likes this.

This is a bit of an open ended question as it will depend on a number of factors.

* The ability of the given child and their level of interest at this age.
    * How regimented the kindergarten is in regard to its character teaching, some can be quite tough on the kids, but they'll learn more complicated characters.

All of our children went through local kindergarten and by K3 could, speak, read and write natively, about the same as aquaman, possibly more.......I don't remember to be honest.

About 100and not very well executed characters either : when my kid got to primary one local school she was quite far behind and I had a few calls from the teacher about it : I resisted extra tutoring until primary 3I think and then her characters and Chinese really took off : in hindsight I should have got a tutor in primary one :I got a local university student as her tutor total 4to 6hours a week : also I chose a helper who could only speak Cantonese not English :
    Point is if your child is behind in k3 don't panic you just need to realise p1will be tough and persist :get extra help early : and persist : I am western quite good written Chinese learnt in my late thirties so I know first hand don't get discouraged just keep at it

Thanks for all the replies. Mine switched kindergarten for K3 and the new school has a proprietary handbook of characters they'll learn to write this year with stroke order - I counted just over 100. Combined with what was already taught in K2, it amounts to around 150 (there was no writing in K1).