Like Tree8Likes

Can kid in HK start primary P1 at age 7?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can kid in HK start primary P1 at age 7?

Hi, I'll need some info from parents or even better from primary school teachers here:

My son is 2y2m now and doing interviews (yes, interviews at 2y age) for next year's K1...

We all feel he will be too young to start kindergarten next year (2y11m next September), so I'm thinking to send him one year later when he is nearly 4.

This means he would go to primary P1 when he is nearly 7 (6y11m).

Is this OK / allowed / legal in HK (both public and private schools)?

Some HK friends told me it's not, and that he MUST start P1 as instructed by HK law (he will be 5y11m) but I really hope it's possible to send him a year later... Other HK friends said it's fine no problem.

(friends in Europe told me it's not allowed there, must get approval to send kid to shool one year later)

I asked this on Geobaby.com, but forum there is not so active... hope somebody can clarify, thanks!

My child started K1 at 2y11 and is doing fine.

I don’t know about local schools but international schools have cut offs so you must be age 5 by Aug 31 to enter Year 1 (as an example) so no matter where in kindy your kid is, they’ll be placed in a grade based on their age.

chuckster007 likes this.

My kid will be 6y10m old when she starts P1 next year, as my kid was born in Nov so we let her go to Kindergarten at normal age but we let her repeat K1 and no one bat an eyelid, we filled out Govt forms for P1 school selections and again no one bat an eyelid so dont worry.

Edit: For international schools like what merchantms said, some of them base on the kids age so when it comes to primary school, your kid might suddenly be offered P2 only and totally miss P1. I had this offered to me as well from a school following the UK system. LOL

jgl likes this.

At my school, the K1 classes that I manage have an array of ages. Some are at the threshold of 2 years and 8 months, and some are 4 years old.

They are far too young before the age of 3, but there are benefits to sending them to kindergarten at an early age. Usually I have more trouble with the older kids as their abilities do not match the other students (all depends on how they were raised) or they find the work, especially motor activities, far too easy.

6 - 7 years old for P1 is perfectly normal. I mean, I have (for some bizarre reason) a kid that is 7 in my K1 class... Goes to show that age is not a concern when it comes to education. If you pay, you can have the spot, for my school anyway

Why don't you try it next year and see how he does? Kids can surprise you (both good and bad) and it's really hard to say how he will react until he actually goes. If it doesn't work out, pull him out and start him next year. The K1 classes at most schools seem to be only a couple of hours (2.5 to 3 hours?) so I don't think it's too much for most children (only if it's one of those super-competitive academic ones). If you opt for a more play-based curriculum rather than one spent memorizing Chinese characters, then I think the average almost-3-year-old would enjoy it.

my son was 6 years and 10 months when he started P1, he is 7 next week !

chuckster007 likes this.

Thanks for all replies!

So we can conclude that private HK schools ($$$) allow kids to start P1 at age 7.

Does anybody know is this the case in public HK schools as well?

We are not sure yet if we will go private or public, it's still long way to go...

My HK friends said public schools strictly follow HK law & rules, so they think it's not allowed.

My friend in Europe planned to send his 7y kid to P1 public there, but was not allowed to do without 'approval' (his friend child psychologist helped them and wrote some letter).

Quote Originally Posted by sallecc:
    Thanks for all replies!

Does anybody know is this the case in public HK schools as well?
    Yes
    sallecc likes this.

Your child will be the appropriate age for K1. What does it mean that you don’t “feel” he will be old enough? Unless there is a good reason then most Kindergartens will not take a child of an inappropriate age.
    When it comes to P1 it will also be difficult to get a place as he will not get the points for being the correct age.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    Your child will be the appropriate age for K1. What does it mean that you don’t “feel” he will be old enough? Unless there is a good reason then most Kindergartens will not take a child of an inappropriate age.
    There are several reasons... Anyway kindergarten is not my concern, I asked several and they said it's completely fine to send kid to K1 at age 4, they said other parents did the same... My concern is P1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    When it comes to P1 it will also be difficult to get a place as he will not get the points for being the correct age.
    This is interesting, and worrying, thanks... I'll need to look more into this... Anybody else know more about that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast