Like Tree41Likes

Schools and admissions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talking Schools and admissions

Well I’m new in Hong kong and I’m 15. I want to continue the study here too. But the problem is I don’t really know the language or ways here since i just got here like 2 weeks ago. How are the international schools here? I’m confused of the education system of how it works. i mean should I continue studying or i drop out ? I really need help for this. It would be great if you guys could suggest something for me.

The International schools here as a rule don't teach in Chinese I don't think. It could be maybe lots of families aren't here for long enough to justify teaching them Chinese* so mainly instruction is provided in English.

* Consulate staff, ambassadors, contracted bank/financial firms' employees who are here only for a limited amount of time so want to enroll in a similar curriculum/syllabuses/syllabi to that followed in their home countries.

In local schools, not knowing Chinese is a disadvantage, even in the universities the instruction tends to be a mixture of Cantonese/Pu Tong Hua/English, with no allowance made for students who cannot understand any of those language.

The international schools may follow the same syllabuses/curriculum utilized in their home countries-UK., (GCSE/ AS/ A Level) USA., Swiss, Canadian etc. I think that IB./IGCSE. are also available.

So can i get admission in international schools without knowing much Cantonese? And since my country education system is ALOT different than here what grade do I apply for or does it determine according to some sort of exams?

Wait a second - how did you end up here in HK? As a dependent with your parents or are you visiting?

Would be quite hard to get into local schools without an appropriate status - dependent visa is usually the case.

International schools will be expensive and again, that goes back to finances and your status here.

If you're from a country which has an international school in Hong Kong, then I'd start by consulting them, e.g. Britain, United States, France, Germany, Switzerland, Canada, Singapore, Korea, Japan, etc

Also, how does a 15 year old end up on Geoexpat?

Okay so I got here with my parents as a dependent recently and since i only have my dad he kind of doesn’t know much about the education system here too so im asking for help here. And i tried to find some ideas on google and ended up on geoexpat. Im not from any international schools too.

Ok ... so you're eligible for both local and international schools as you're on a dependant visa.

Can you tell us where you've arrived from? Many of the international schools will support a home-country curriculum like French, German/Swiss, American etc. There are a few Asian International schools - Korean & Japanese.

The bulk international schools do IB, which involves studying 7 subjects up to year 13 (18 years old). A few do A-Levels (UK system) which involves exams at year 11 (IGCSEs - 7-8 subjects) and year 12 (AS Levels -3 to 4.5 subjects) and year 13 (A Levels - 3 to 4.5 subjects).

Where are you from? What year at school were you in? What were you studying (subjects / country curriculum?)

It is harder to switch at your age - since the subjects get progressively advanced, so knowing a little bit about you would help.

chingleutsch likes this.

Im from Nepal and in the age of 15 there I’ve been in the 9th grade so on that contrast what should i do? We used to have up-to 12th grade (age 18) then we would do 4year of bachelor where we chose major like BBA, BIM etc. Its very different from here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast