Like Tree61Likes

Public schools: pros and cons

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

The people I’ve met who were fully non Chinese and went local all got out well before secondary.
    Our school is even kind of an international school and I can't imagine doing it without at least one parent being able to read chinese and understand spoken cantonese.

I like to ask, does our kid need to be Cantonese proficient (able to speak Cantonese fluently) to be admitted in DSS schools? (Our child speaks English).
    Will kids who are unable to speak Cantonese be discriminated by classmates and teachers in local and/or DSS schools?

Last edited by Chookchook; 26-02-2020 at 04:55 AM.

In my experience, our son was not proficient in Cantonese when he started at DSS school but quickly became fluent as it was the language of the playground. There was some discrimination being a Eurasian but I do not think it is possible completely eradicate it. After leaving the school several years ago he retains solid friendships with several Chinese and Indian kids he met at DSS school and meets up whenever he is back in HK. I believe he regards the experience positively - albeit with some bumps along the road.

Incidentally, DSS schools are not exclusively Chinese - kids only need to study Chinese in secondary if they have studied in in Primary. DSS did provide a small French stream catering to other kids - in our case mainly Indians.

jgl and Bob Loblaw like this.