Like Tree14Likes

Is a BSc ( math) useful in HK ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is a BSc ( math) useful in HK ?

I want to know about the usefulness of a Degree in Bachelors of Science, possibly a math major from one of the top 3 universities in HK. My Cantonese sucks so l couldn't resort to any local forums but from what l have read around. My basic impression of the job market and work culture with regards to engineering/science majors is that they could not get good grades to enroll in Medicine/Law/Business in Uni and were forced to take sci/eng programs.As a result,employers do not really value us and will pay less. Besides that, many international students complain that the locals are not that serious in their studies and that they even manage to drag down the quality of the classroom environment.

While this viewpoint is not totally mistaken since the entry requirement for stem majors is relatively lower. It does force a lot of people to give up their interests for other fields with better job prospects or more security.I don't want to take that path but it would be great if some local hker/old expat can clarify the situation here in HK. Besides teaching in a primary/sec school or getting into a grad school and securing a tenure at a university after a doctorate ( really difficult ).
    What other paths can a math major take in HK ?

Finally a touch up question, among all the universities in HK, which one is the best suited for majoring in Mathematics ?

What year are you looking at starting the BSc degree? Are you a currently enrolled in an HK school or looking at moving here specifically for studies? And more importantly are you a permanent resident?

I have enrolled for the 20/21 term and l am a permanent resident. I hope this info helps.

Barring few points in your posts, i would say you have somewhat false impression about the subject as well as Uni environment, its actually the opposite of what you think.. If you ignore current environment (Protests/Virus), you will be competing with lots of Mainlanders, Indians and Other Asians in STEM and many of them are serious talent particularly in Maths.. Also take an example of business school, most elite degrees like Quantitative Finance and BSc with Econ/Fin etc will actually require good Math score to get into and even sustain.. If you are interested in new age IT stuff like AI/ML/Data Analytics/Big Data, Maths and Statistics will be really handy so don't think its limited to being teacher only, it all depends on your future study/career path..

What nivantj said- I would concentrate on the practical applications like data mining, data analytics, higher-level computer science (AI, machine learning), or, alternatively, the finance side of things.

Less time on theoretical math (although my Russian roommate concentrated on theory, even in her PhD and ended up in banking, making a pile of money...but then she is just a genius so hard to use her as an example).

nivantj and Jim Morrison like this.

and ended up in banking, making a pile of money
    Lately i have been hearing a lot about banking industry hiring Engineers and fresh STEM grads for certain posts and also to diversify employee demographics etc.. Someone from banking might confirm this..

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    Lately i have been hearing a lot about banking industry hiring Engineers and fresh STEM grads for certain posts and also to diversify employee demographics etc.. Someone from banking might confirm this..
    It's not just a recent thing, it's been this way for years.
    nivantj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    MIT sent alumni some long-term statistics about job placement, was surprised how many did banking/Wall Street- even in the old days when I graduated (1986).
    nivantj likes this.

Machine Learning/AI means that you focus more on statistics as well as understand some programming. I would say this is the most relevant area even if you want to break into finance/banking. But all these areas/subjects is more on Msc level, on Bsc level you will not know that much, it will be learning on the job.

shri likes this.

Thanks for the clarification as l was a little worried about the scope of stem majors and l have found out that UST is offering Data Science and Tech. I think the curriculum is well rounded.

http://https://dsct.ust.hk/core-courses

I will probably face the dilemma of either taking a pure math course and learning programming on my own or just taking the course tailor-made for data related jobs. The earlier option is easier said than done. On a side note, do you think that in the coming few years, the job market will have a surplus of job seekers looking for data analytical jobs. That inevitably happens with almost any hyped-up industry .
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast