Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By David4Maths

Return to school proving to be optional

Closed Thread

Return to school proving to be optional

Wife had a LONG conversation of opinion and ideas with my daughters ( P4 ) PLK school, class teacher. She opined about us not being really happy with her going back considering what was being planned at the school and the recent cases in Shatin. My wife sees some schools here and abroad ( Germany ) doing a week of one half the class and the next week the other half, so they can get good distancing at least in the class. They would have to be able to accomodate this on the buses also. Why don't we think like that?

Anyhow, long story short, it comes to pass that MANY parents are of the same opinion because ( wait for it ) it's a government decision. Now who would think HKers would not have faith in their government !!! It appears that we may just write a letter, week by week, giving reasons and she can stay at home and continue with home schooling.

To that end the wife calls her friends and it appears that only a small percentage of parents ( 7-9 in a class of 34 ) are indicating their kids will return in our and other schools.

Just putting it out there for parents that might think they HAVE to comply and I realise for F6 and P5 and 6 it's a different scenario, But for the vast majority and in our local schools, exams are not being taken and assessments will only be by the teacher on overall conduct. So, nothing lost by acting on your conscience and as a family waiting until the Aug 31 return date for the new year takes the strain off, or at least part off.

If you have fears and have not already, talk to the school.

hullexile, AsianXpat0 and Mr Chips like this.

Are your kids at a local school?

Ours (international) was quite clear that if parents don't want to send children in, that's their right, but that home learning would be more limited as teachers would be prioritizing classroom learning.

I've also heard from neighbors that at our local ESF the kids are split in groups going in every other day to allow for the necessary distancing.

So seems like your school wasn't communicating well to let you know you had the choice? And it also wasn't coming up with creative ways to manage the situation better.

Yes, local PLK supported charity school.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

I've also heard from neighbors that at our local ESF the kids are split in groups going in every other day to allow for the necessary distancing.
    hmmm....interesting. Let’s just say that I know for a fact that in some classes in an ESF school there are 30 children, not much social distancing going on there.

I know of a DSS school that is taking things a lot more seriously because it is under the EDB.