• 1 Post By ArrynField
  • 1 Post By David4Maths
  • 1 Post By walkup
  • 1 Post By Fenix2
  • 1 Post By ArrynField
  • 1 Post By Fenix2
  • 1 Post By walkup
  • 1 Post By walkup

Is a BTEC Higher National diploma worth studying over an associate degree?

Closed Thread

Question Is a BTEC Higher National diploma worth studying over an associate degree?

A close friend of mine was told to study BTEC Higher National diploma(HND) over an associate degree because BTEC HND will give higher chances to study a Bachelor's degree worldwide,because chances of associate degree upgrading into a bachelor's degree is low. But my friend wants to continue her studies in Hong Kong,I am skeptical about BTEC HND recognition in local university and fear that his decision to take BTEC HND instead of an associate degree may affect his further studies in Hong Kong(because this HND is new to me and I've never heard about it.)

All in all,I just want to know if BTEC HND is well recognised by universities in Hong Kong and can guarantee my friend a bachelor's degree and also if it would be better for him to choose to study an associate degree or BTEC HND if he is going to continue his studies in HK as he has no chance or motivation to study overseas?

The TEC is a vocationally designed qualification. I was one of the first to get one (BTEC, Mechanical and Marine Engineering ) over the City & Guilds qualification back in the "old " days. I had a Higher Diploma and on that basis was admitted to Greenwich to do a degree course. HOWEVER, beware of "crossing the stream" because the TEC system works on credits and i got degree credits in Business and Finance through that course. There is no issued degree in that even though I have the credits to graduate a degree.because I did not need to do 3 years only 18 months because on the HD.

It may have changed now because I am 65 but pays to put the question to unis and what paper they would issue on completion. If you wanted to do a full 3 yrs then should be no problem but it was not possible for me as i had a family to feed.

FLYNN-K likes this.

HND allows waiver of 1st year of degree programs in similar areas.

A 1 year ACCESS course will allow entry to degree programs in lieu of A levels

FLYNN-K likes this.

If we are talking about the subjects of either business studies or computing then your friend should solely focus on the institutional partnerships and progressions offered. In the case of associate degree this will usually be offered by the HK university and offer progression after the 2nd year to a 3rd year Honours Degree. For HND this might be offered by a private college in HK over a 2 year period who have a partnership with a UK university to top up the HND with a UK honours degree studied in HK over a further year with some input from UK staff. So your friend needs to also look at the fees of these courses. Note in addition that the HND route with UK accreditation often means doing all assessment in English. The associate degree pathway might not. (There is a fiddle if doing accreditation with a Welsh university, but we won't go there right now).

FLYNN-K likes this.

Thank you very much for all your thoughtful replies! I feel like I know more about this HND course now and I will forward these messages to my friend as well as say my thoughts but it’s solely his decision , , hope he makes a good one.

thanks all of you

Have a look at this:-

London - Access Course
    https://www.ocnlondon.org.uk/Access-...siness-Studies

Timeframe - Leading to Degree

2 Year HND + Degree Course (Assuming in same subjects, join 2nd year) = 4 years

1 Year Access + 3 year degree course = 4 years

FLYNN-K likes this.

I did an OND and HND in Computer Studies. Every single module I did pretty much served in my carrer. We were learning Object oriented programming, Real time programming, C++, SQL in 1992. Our course was far more useful that fractals and other "funny" stuff they were teaching the poor Cambridge Uni "ComSci" (comsky) students across town.

I found the HND to be an amazing preparation and the toughest most demanding thing I ever did, The volume assignments we had to deliver and the standard expected was very high.. Even the 5 term BSC Hons and the MSc I did after after were a picnic.

Do the HND, not for the paper but for the preparation.

FLYNN-K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    I did an OND and HND in Computer Studies. Every single module I did pretty much served in my carrer. We were learning Object oriented programming, Real time programming, C++, SQL in 1992. Our course was far more useful that fractals and other "funny" stuff they were teaching the poor Cambridge Uni "ComSci" (comsky) students across town.

I found the HND to be an amazing preparation and the toughest most demanding thing I ever did, The volume assignments we had to deliver and the standard expected was very high.. Even the 5 term BSC Hons and the MSc I did after after were a picnic.

Do the HND, not for the paper but for the preparation.
    I wouldn't expect an HND of nearly 30 years ago to be remotely at the same level as one today. Other than HNDs directly tied in with industry, eg Hospitality Industry, HNDs where they exist in computing and business studies are more or less feeder courses for degrees and provide a pathway for students who do not possess standard school leaving qualifications of sufficient standard. Also one can expect more handholding on an HND course.
    FLYNN-K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    I wouldn't expect an HND of nearly 30 years ago to be remotely at the same level as one today. Other than HNDs directly tied in with industry, eg Hospitality Industry, HNDs where they exist in computing and business studies are more or less feeder courses for degrees and provide a pathway for students who do not possess standard school leaving qualifications of sufficient standard. Also one can expect more handholding on an HND course.
    It maybe out of date but why shouldn't there be an HND of equivalent high level today?
    I think what matters on a BSc or an HND are the modules and who is teaching... I spent 2 weeks travelling to different universities to the professors and look at BSc course contents. I chose the HND.
    FLYNN-K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    It maybe out of date but why shouldn't there be an HND of equivalent high level today?
    I think what matters on a BSc or an HND are the modules and who is teaching... I spent 2 weeks travelling to different universities to the professors and look at BSc course contents. I chose the HND.
    Its a bit of a story, but what was in operation 30 years ago is no more and what may have been a good decision for you then, just doesn't fit in the 21st century. Computing HNDs are solely feeder courses for BSc courses now. In HK, the HNDs are or were mostly run by private colleges which spotted a gap in the HK educational system for those who for one reason or another weren't doing well enough at school. They offered a bridge to a degree with partnerships with UK universities and some of these are still in operation.
    FLYNN-K likes this.