Like Tree61Likes

ESF vows to look into student complaints of racism

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Original Post Deleted
    No word is offensive to everyone. What the fuck point are you trying to make? Because some people aren't offended by n**** it isn't racist? Good luck with that.
    merchantms and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    It's an international school for goodness sake, it's not a place to try out any racial or homophobic slurs or cussing or any other questionable behaviors in any language. How often it happens, how you deal with it and how much tolerance there is to it can vary but as a matter of policy, it's 100% that it is not acceptable nor is playing music aloud that contains this stuff is either.
    Seems so obvious right?

If they can go around obsessively checking girls’ skirts clearly they have the manpower to enforce rules on offensive language more closely.

I actually ran into a friend who is an ESF alum today (non white) who said both the racial issues and girls being sexualized (even seduced) by expat teachers were issues in the 1990s.

With some teacher here in the past posting messages like Chinese eat dogs in broken English (despite the fact the person is of British orgin and supposedly speaks the King's English) and then calling it sarcasm, I'm not suprised there are racist teachers in the HK school system. I'm not surprised its implicitly condoned by others including powers of authority who can zap it. This board can be a microcosm of society and the school system as I've seen it happen here.

N er is very racist. N a is a colloquial term of endearment but if you ain't black then you should not use it. I suppose the kids and or teachers were trying to look and sound cool. These days even upper class suburban kids listen to rap and they know the venacular but I believe in an educational or other organized setting it should not be used. Referring to someome as a N a can be similar to calling a friend one of your "homies" or "homeboy" except it is a derivative of the dreaded N er word. White culture globally tends to adopt American black culture. Think of the works used today iin the mainsteadm such as "yo", "man", "chill" etc.

Last edited by RMDNC; 25-06-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    No surprise you failed to answer the question.

Coffee , I think you are mixing up use of the word N a (not N r) and thinking its use due to cultural appropriation is acceptable. It is not IMO given what its a derivative of.

The Asian jokes/ mocking of names by the faculty are clearly unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    News flash, not all “blacks” are rappers. In the same way one shouldn’t assume all white people are represented by the Kardashians or insert vapid pop culture figure of your choice.

Middle aged black people especially those who went through the civil rights movement, educated black people, etc. do not use the n word in their daily conversations. And outside of the US it pretty much doesn’t exist among black people, try landing in Nairobi and calling someone that.
    What 'newsflash'...I never said all black people are rappers... I'm not a rapper... impossible conversations these.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You will notice a connection between those arguing it is not offensive and those arguing that BLM is wrong. In other words racists.
    Mic drop... discussion over. Boom.

How to win an argument in 2020.

The 'R' word
    Last edited by Mr Chips; 25-06-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    What 'newsflash'...I never said all black people are rappers... I'm not a rapper... impossible conversations these.
    You said many blacks are hypocrites about the word because they use it themselves.

Who are you talking about exactly? Are you aware of large numbers of normal working black people who use the n word with regularity? Or are you basing your view entirely on music and pop culture.

You said many blacks are hypocrites about the word because they use it themselves.
    Aren't they? If they are saying the word is offensive and that it shouldn't be used, why do they get to cause offence? Every white person I know is offended by the word! If they are saying only blacks can use it then that's racism by definition.

Who are you talking about exactly?
    Regarding rap? Well, rappers and people who listen to it and are culturally influenced by it.

Are you aware of large numbers of 'normal working black people' who use the n word with regularity?
    Yes... I guess so... I really think we're talking at cross purposes here, as usual.

Or are you basing your view entirely on music and pop culture.
    I think if you're cultural icons glorify crime, misogyny, racism, violence and segregationist there may be a causal link between those things existing in said ethnic group...

I always find these discussions interesting... I don't say 'kike' or 'nigger' or 'wog' but they've all had a meaning for me at one time or other... For example, when I was growing up, most of my pals were Italian and were like family... In Australia, they called each other wogs, I was called an 'honorary wog', but I could never quite bring myself to use the word because I knew how SOME, NOT ALL of my Skippy (white Aussie) pals used it...

I've never used 'nigger' because I've never thought of myself as black and I present white. In the US, I'd be able to call myself black if I wanted to, according to the 'one drop principal', in the UK, I'd be laughed at... anyway, in the UK we have a box, 'Mixed Race other', and I usually don't tick that... never heard nigger used much in the UK.

Jews never use anti-Jewish slurs around each other and I've seldom heard them in public...

My view on these words is that racists are given power by people taking offence at them... I bet half the time racist slurs are used in the same way as any other insult... could be a rude comment about your Mum or your ginger hair or whatever...
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Aren't they? If they are saying the word is offensive and that it shouldn't be used, why do they get to cause offence? Every white person I know is offended by the word! If they are saying only blacks can use it then that's racism by definition.

Regarding rap? Well, rappers and people who listen to it and are culturally influenced by it.

Yes... I guess so... I really think we're talking at cross purposes here, as usual.

I think if you're cultural icons glorify crime, misogyny, racism, violence and segregationist there may be a causal link between those things existing in said ethnic group...

I always find these discussions interesting... I don't say 'kike' or 'nigger' or 'wog' but they've all had a meaning for me at one time or other... For example, when I was growing up, most of my pals were Italian and were like family... In Australia, they called each other wogs, I was called an 'honorary wog', but I could never quite bring myself to use the word because I knew how SOME, NOT ALL of my Skippy (white Aussie) pals used it...

I've never used 'nigger' because I've never thought of myself as black and I present white. In the US, I'd be able to call myself black if I wanted to, according to the 'one drop principal', in the UK, I'd be laughed at... anyway, in the UK we have a box, 'Mixed Race other', and I usually don't tick that... never heard nigger used much in the UK.

Jews never use anti-Jewish slurs around each other and I've seldom heard them in public...

My view on these words is that racists are given power by people taking offence at them... I bet half the time racist slurs are used in the same way as any other insult... could be a rude comment about your Mum or your ginger hair or whatever...
    You’re a very ignorant person if you think most black peoples cultural icons are rappers. Putting you on ignore now.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6