Like Tree61Likes

ESF vows to look into student complaints of racism

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

ESF vows to look into student complaints of racism

Hong Kong’s biggest international school group ESF vows to look into student complaints of racism, inappropriate behaviour against teachers
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...group-esf-vows

About f'ing time .. they also need to look at how the full time teaching staff treat their teaching assistants.

And as much as I hate newspaper articles that identify an anonymous person by their ethnicity, I wish they'd done it in this case.

She added: “KGV students should appreciate what they have and work hard on what they should be as students of the school … I do hope that KGV can remain peaceful.”
    Last edited by shri; 24-06-2020 at 11:04 AM.

ESF Y13 don't have a uniform. Have seen the girls wear the shortest of shorts and skimpy tank tops. Even the mums complain!

Am surprised KGV 6th form have a uniform!

https://www.kgv.edu.hk/uniform/

Some of it might be just griping and jumping on the bandwagon but the leadership and teachers in those schools has always been overwhelmingly caucasian and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little scrutiny and self reflection. Male staff should all know by now to refrain from any physical contact with females students. Uniform checks should really be conducted by female staff... There's also no doubt that some of the teachers are not particularly good at making efforts with asian names. Good on the students for speaking out and making it a little less comfortable for those that are straddling or crossing the line.

I find the whole thing bit of entitield and riding on 'BlacklivesMatter' sentiment, there might be few incidents here and there but few things are over the board like this one...

Despite there being almost no black students on campus, the writer said schoolmates would commonly use the derogatory “N-word” on others, acts which were “often overlooked by staff, rendering them complicit in racist behaviours by allowing them to continue”.
    Students have been using that particular word for years, lot of the time in a friendly way or by following whatever hipster youtube video or trend, and now blaming school or staff for being complicit, its not propogated by school/teachers and why would it be derogatory if brown/yellow students call each other by 'N-Word'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj:
    I find the whole thing bit of entitield and riding on 'BlacklivesMatter' sentiment, there might be few incidents here and there but few things are over the board like this one...

Students have been using that particular word for years, lot of the time in a friendly way or by following whatever hipster youtube video or trend, and now blaming school or staff for being complicit, its not propogated by school/teachers and why would it be derogatory if brown/yellow students call each other by 'N-Word'!!!
    I agree that some of it may be opportunistic but as was the case of the #metoo movement, if it encourages people to speak out and brings certain things to light and get people to talk about it, I think it's a good thing.

As to the N word, I vehemently disagree with you. any racial slurs intended or not have no business in a school setting just like swearing or smoking. It happens but it shouldn't be overlooked or ignored. It's a word that offends many regardless of the color and it's the school responsibility to discourage the use and let it be known that it's not something to use lightly. There are black students in staff in every school and it's immensely disrespectful to let it go as just a thing that kids do.

As to the N word, I vehemently disagree with you. any racial slurs intended or not have no business in a school setting just like swearing or smoking. It happens but it shouldn't be overlooked or ignored. It's a word that offends many regardless of the color and it's the school responsibility to discourage the use and let it be known that it's not something to use lightly. There are black students in staff in every school and it's immensely disrespectful to let it go as just a thing that kids do.
    Thats what my point is, why knowingly use such words even in a fun way when they know its a derogatory term to someone even though that someone may not be in your group/class/school and they are higher secondary students after all, not in nursery.. As a parent i didnt find anything funny when i saw brown/yellow/white students regularly using N-word to refer to each other as hommies or whatever..

Larger point is where to draw a line and how much of policing school can do when supposedly adult students come up with something new everyday to break the rule and rebel and all that.. Certain things have to be self-restraint or parental responsibility..
    Last edited by nivantj; 24-06-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    angeluscomplex and Mr Chips like this.

Original Post Deleted
    There's no doubt that something has been lost in the process of physically distancing teachers with students just like there also has been losses with implementing safety protocols that are sometimes perceived as being too stringent and cumbersome. There are trade-offs. It's even more delicate in the primary school where many kids want and need closeness from teachers and it is very unfortunate that the predators of this world have brought us there.

There is a reality to be dealt with and in the case of uniforms, someone has to check just like searches at airports so it's best to go with the most appropriate solution. There is also the reality that most predators are male and it's far more likely a female will be uncomfortable being handled by a male than the reverse. You don't seem to have too much of a problem when profiling is done on race but you do when it's on sex? In any case, that's beside the point. I think that both male and female staff should avoid initiating physical contact with students and should ideally not be alone in a private setting. Any educator nowadays knows this and willfully go against it is taking chances.

Again, I think it's great that students speak out even if it's opportunistic if it makes everyone look at their actions and think about how they may impact others even when done innocuously. There will always be those set in their ways that refuse to change but the world isn't going to stop for them. I'd rather live in a world that is a little less trusting of me but that doesn't allow the Weinstein's of this world to go on with their business.
    eIIe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Some of it might be just griping and jumping on the bandwagon but the leadership and teachers in those schools has always been overwhelmingly caucasian and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little scrutiny and self reflection. Male staff should all know by now to refrain from any physical contact with females students. Uniform checks should really be conducted by female staff... There's also no doubt that some of the teachers are not particularly good at making efforts with asian names. Good on the students for speaking out and making it a little less comfortable for those that are straddling or crossing the line.
    I know some ESF teachers - friends of friends. Always stuck out to me that they tend to have an exclusively white social network. People who have lived in HK for 10+ years and do not have a single Asian friend.

I don’t understand how you recruit from the UK, US, etc and get such a high percentage of blonde staff without making a concerted effort.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I know some ESF teachers - friends of friends. Always stuck out to me that they tend to have an exclusively white social network. People who have lived in HK for 10+ years and do not have a single Asian friend.

I don’t understand how you recruit from the UK, US, etc and get such a high percentage of blonde staff without making a concerted effort.
    I think there has been a concerted effort to diversify in recent years and recruitment is not done centrally but by individual schools so I don't think there is a concerted effort. My personal experience of expat life in HK and other countries is also that many tend to associate primarily with other expats. I think that's often based on cultural/sporting interests, customs and language. As an expat, you are also likely to make friends with people at work and if most are expats, the outcome is obvious. I don't see this a nefarious, just normal human nature but it can lead to reinforce certain practices

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast