Like Tree34Likes

1/6 school for your kids?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Almost all international schools are back with 1/6 around my area (HK Island).

Our school has been bringing kids in for exams, but they had to halt mid week and split into 2 weeks after 1 kid was identified as a close contact of someone who caught covid, (student tested negative). Given cases are still basically at peak levels here, feels like this is going to blow up in someone's face at some point in time.

Local school S1 nothing requiring attendance. Since I have forgotten when : it's all zoom 08:30 till 15:30. hour for lunch . I understand it will stay that way till after cny

There’s a lot of debate on social media and WhatsApp about whether schools should reopen. Local parents want them closed largely. But with 1/6 in class many already are open and I see tons of local kids in local school uniforms out going to class every day.

So who do these voices clamoring to keep schools shut belong to? Because a hell of a lot of families seem to be OK with it. I’ve heard some kindies are basically full with emergency care as well.

Have others noticed the dichotomy between this debate and what’s actually happening on the ground?

Opening schools up now is playing with fire. HK has just barely managed to keep this wave in check. Most of the people advocating for reopening are pointing to places like Korea, Japan, and even god forbid the UK keeping in person schooling in place as if these places are models we should be emulating. I'm no fan of these draconian restrictions, but no place has managed to keep covid in check and schools open at the same time while there are dozens of daily untraceable cases. Zoom classes suck, but they are basically one of the only tools we can turn to in order to keep this in check that don't involve tanking the economy completely, at least until widespread vaccination can be put in place.

Last edited by NateM; 03-02-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NateM:
    Opening schools up now is playing with fire. HK has just barely managed to keep this wave in check. Most of the people advocating for reopening are pointing to places like Korea, Japan, and even god forbid the UK keeping in person schooling in place as if these places are models we should be emulating. I'm no fan of these draconian restrictions, but no place has managed to keep covid in check and schools open at the same time while there are dozens of daily untraceable cases. Zoom classes suck, but they are basically one of the only tools we can turn to in order to keep this in check that don't involve tanking the economy completely, at least until widespread vaccination can be put in place.
    So the fact that the most recent clusters have been at construction sites and private gatherings of adults, doesn’t make you think those should be closed? Last I checked education is a right of children, a third runway (when no one is flying) or a tunnel can be delayed.

The issue in HK is that business and the social life of adults have been prioritized over school for 12 months. How long can they expect families with schoolchildren to make all of the sacrifices to “control” the virus?

Also remember that even when schools have been open, it’s been limited groups, half days, no lunch, masks all day, etc. But I can go sit in a restaurant and have free flow brunch with my friends maskless any day of the week.
    tura, blandy62, Dominic N and 3 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    100+ people dying of covid every day and hospitals all at max capacity, but sure you can send your kids to daycare.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

100+ people dying of covid every day and hospitals all at max capacity, but sure you can send your kids to daycare.
    Japan's has had 46 deaths per million, compared to 24 for Hong Kong.

I'm not giving an opinion on the restrictions of either place, but just like to avoid exaggeration or figures without context.

Japan is currently in its most serious wave, just based on the numbers.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/07/a...hnk/index.html

Restaurants are open until 8 and sports venues are open with limited attendance. But sure it’s schools to blame.

"There have been few cases of school infections spreading from schools to the community, and we would like to protect the learning opportunities of children who will lead the future," Suga said Thursday at a press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic N:
    Japan's has had 46 deaths per million, compared to 24 for Hong Kong.

I'm not giving an opinion on the restrictions of either place, but just like to avoid exaggeration or figures without context.
    That would seem to indicate that if JP had followed HKs trajectory they'd have around 2800 fewer dead people right now. Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a good justification for closing schools in the midst of their most serious wave!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast