Like Tree1Likes

Parents - Why are you looking for a tutor/ECA?

Closed Thread

Lightbulb Parents - Why are you looking for a tutor/ECA?

Hi all

We want to enhance our primary school curriculum to be tailored and focused on the needs of the children in Hong Kong local schools. To that end, I would love to know what YOU, the parents, feel is missing or could be enhanced within the local school setting? Why are so many seeking tutors and extra-curricular support in English? Is there something missing?

I hope, with this information, that we can enhance our own curriculum to ensure it meets children's needs, here in Hong Kong.

Any input is be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mark

** - incredibly insightful response. I whole-heartedly agree from my experience and observation.

The Curriculum for English Language is actually incredibly thorough and encourages a strong pedagogy. The approaches, like skills focus, cross-curricular and project based learning are all suggested. However, from my own experience and anecdotal evidence, this is not being implemented in many schools. However, as you point out, this is unlikely to be the reason why parents seek ECA/EFL tutoring. Although if it is delivered by a good provider, it will be an "unintended" benefit.