Like Tree45Likes

Mount Kelly shuts down

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Mount Kelly shuts down

https://hk.appledaily.com/local/2021...J7RJHPSERQBVU/

In Chinese media only so far but hearing on social media that Mount Kelly school has abruptly stopped all in person learning for financial reasons.

Right after they "won" several awards from HK Living..

https://www.mountkelly.edu.hk/news/e...=6&y=1&c=2&p=1

SingSangSong likes this.

Looks like Dimsum has some info... along with 50 popup videos and ads.

Sounds like a rental issue?

https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/mount-kel...-the-semester/

hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Right after they "won" several awards from HK Living..

https://www.mountkelly.edu.hk/news/e...=6&y=1&c=2&p=1
    Maybe they should have put whatever they spent to win those awards towards rent.

Was this the school that tried to fast track a startup without an established campus via running 'voluntary courses' in some serviced office?

DellthinkHK and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Was this the school that tried to fast track a startup without an established campus via running 'voluntary courses' in some serviced office?
    Correct.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Correct.
    <facepalm>

I think that I went to an information night for that school. We can't remember the name of the school, but the whole sales pitch was "British style prep school opening in HK, rah rah rah" and by the way it doesn't exist yet.

We came out of that wondering why on earth we'd wasted our time listening to possible vapourware, surely one of the main factors any parent chooses for a school is stability. Your kids are stuck in it for 6-12 years.

<facepalm>

I think that I went to an information night for that school. We can't remember the name of the school, but the whole sales pitch was "British style prep school opening in HK, rah rah rah."

We came out of that wondering why on earth we'd wasted our time listening to possible vapourware, surely one of the main factors any parent chooses for a school is stability. Your kids are stuck in it for 6-12 years.
    “Stuck” lol, it’s school not a prison.

Anyway, easy come easy go for this school.

Quote Originally Posted by hike:
    “Stuck” lol, it’s school not a prison.

Anyway, easy come easy go for this school.
    Depends if you’ve paid a debenture for entry. A lot of the new schools have huge upfront costs - variously called debenture, capital levy, nomination right. So if parents have paid these and the school has completely stopped before the end of the academic year - their kids are not stuck but their money is gone.
    rkenia852, TheBrit, jgl and 5 others like this.

<facepalm>

I think that I went to an information night for that school. We can't remember the name of the school, but the whole sales pitch was "British style prep school opening in HK, rah rah rah" and by the way it doesn't exist yet.

We didn’t consider any brand new schools for this reason. Only been in HK 5 years and seen several kindies disappear overnight - with Covid this was going to spread to larger institutions.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast