Like Tree85Likes

Why remote learning is a failure (NYTimes)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    How do you learn online without using a device?

If you meant remote learning doesn’t require an iPad - correct but then it requires an adult who might need to be working to earn money to feed and clothe the children.
    I mean it should be more flexible. Online learning provides an opportunity, among the greater negatives, to move to a less formal and structured approach. Whether they are on their iPad or not they still need an adult around in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    Amen to that. Online school is no school.
    In my family, we all suffered major trauma during the 18 months of homeschooling. We are trying to pick up the pieces now.

My kids are not the same as before the pandemic, it will take time and effort to heal. Now they hate and dread school, which never ever happened before.
    During the homeschooling days, their frustration and rejection transformed them into little Dilberts and Wallys in their cubicles, ranting bitterly against their aloof boss/teachers. In primary, it’s way to early for that. And that’s when they weren’t going full berserk in spectacular meltdowns.
    The disconnection feeling remains now with in presence school, unfortunately. They still feel lonely and isolated even surrounded by their friends. And with that goes a lot of their motivation, I guess.
    Their trust in the school as a safe and happy place is gone, despite the many good memories associated with it, and it’s a lot of work to try and get it back.

Not to mention a problem that luckily doesn’t concern my kids but I have heard so many parents complaining about: the early introduction to internet and social media. Many young kids, forced to spend 7 hours a day in front of a computer screen, were easily lured to youtube and all the rest in an unhealthy way, spending then also the rest of the afternoon online. Again, too early for that.

I can understand closing all schools for one month of hard lockdown, but only if all other jobs get put on stand-by too. That’s an emergency.
    Here we definitely protracted homeschooling for way too long. And in the absence of any real emergency. It just became the new normal. 18 months passed before our school resumed normal full time schedule.
    A sign of how little mental health is valued here, I think.
    Also a sign of a limited idea of education and the role schools play in the life of kids (hint: it’s not all about transferring knowledge to the children and testing them).

Let’s hope the homeschooling days are over for good.
    We are coping with the too early introduction to screens and YouTube. Some of the home learning content was only on adult YouTube and not the kids version. I’ve put loads of parental controls on now in addition to hiding the iPad because both kids are able to quickly navigate to videos. I actually chose their school because it is less dependent on devices than some others so this is a very unwelcome development.
    Baklava, vmlinuz and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I mean it should be more flexible. Online learning provides an opportunity, among the greater negatives, to move to a less formal and structured approach. Whether they are on their iPad or not they still need an adult around in the house.
    So 9:09am this morning on a school day the 14 year old is at the market with her mum buying breakfast and mangoes for mango shakes, the 12 year old is still in bed watching anime. 10am having breakfast.

Online classes are limited to a couple of hours a day at most, none today. They don't need to turn cameras on if they don't want to and if they choose only turn mics on to register attendance. If they choose they can go.paper based and avoid online classes

On the other hand they can work in the evening or at weekends if they are not doing anything

Popping in to see all the childless creeps mandating home schooling for my kids

merchantms and Jillypots like this.

So 9:09am this morning on a school day the 14 year old is at the market with her mum buying breakfast and mangoes for mango shakes, the 12 year old is still in bed watching anime. 10am having breakfast.

Online classes are limited to a couple of hours a day at most, none today. They don't need to turn cameras on if they don't want to and if they choose only turn mics on to register attendance. If they choose they can go.paper based and avoid online classes

On the other hand they can work in the evening or at weekends if they are not doing anything
    So how do you think this works for my 4 and 6 year olds?
    Beuze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This was more obvious in HK than in many other places, with the particularly senseless EDB directives, lack of space at home, and lack of space outside.

It was interesting to see on this forum so many posters (presumably without kids) dismiss (and continue to dismiss) the impact of a year of wildly disrupted year of pseudo-schooling on children. While at the same time witnessing first hand how woefully one dimensional and prescriptive online classes had become or how the long term health of some of the kids have been affected.
    As many of you know, I have no kids and don't even like kids... but I think the year of home schooling in HK was an absolute disgrace and a complete abrigation of societies responsibilities towards it's young (and their parents). Had the pandemic targetted school age children, possibly this would have been the right response to save their lives. But to destroy this many lives (and some will absolutely have been destroyed; others just damaged) in the name of keeping their elderly grandparents or sick relatives alive is disgusting. We could, and should, have done better.
    jgl, merchantms, shri and 3 others like this.

So how do you think this works for my 4 and 6 year olds?
    Much much harder. So homeschooling is perhaps a disaster for very young kids but not for all. For the older kids it is just a far from ideal negative.

Much much harder. So homeschooling is perhaps a disaster for very young kids but not for all. For the older kids it is just a far from ideal negative.
    More than half of school children are under 12. So their experience is pretty relevant.

In the US, some school districts are allowing children to repeat the year if the parents (and presumably the children) want it. Kind of an admission that the whole system was, umm, "less than ideal..."

If I had a kid for whom home-school wasn't working (thinking of my older brothers as students), I can imagine just withdrawing them and then re-enrolling the next year for the same grade. Not a perfect solution (and one likely not available in HK)- or finding an actual distance learning school curriculum for home-schooling rather than being on the computer all day. Some of the set-ups in the US were pretty dire.

Just a disaster that will the subject of more than a few Doctorate of Education theses in a few years...

TaD_LaLa likes this.

More than half of school children are under 12. So their experience is pretty relevant.
    Which means half aren't so their experience is also relevant. We are both basing our views on our own experience. The fact that we have different experiences shows we can't generalise, something I accept I have done.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast