Like Tree10Likes

Year 7 : CIS or GSIS

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

CIS has better links to American universities, GSIS better links to British universities. It’s not inherent in the curriculums so not sure why, could be due to their staff or just the European nature of GSIS. You can see this in the university destinations on their websites.

If you/your child has a strong preference for where to attend university that’s worth considering.

I don't think it is the better links. I just think the chinese students who go to CIS prefer going to the USA and those who go to GSIS prefer the UK route. Both schools send students to universities in USA, Canada, UK, Australia, NZ and HK. But the culture of the schools are different.

Both schools are great. It's like which do you prefer ? Dom Perignon or Cristal ???

Thanks. Prefer to send my daughter to US for university but wonder I also don’t know whether I can conclud which school is better based on university placement since both have students into top schools. Or indeed just because family/own preference.

Want to have more insight about the culture difference. Can u elaborate more?

Why don't you tell us what are your concerns / considerations and we can better help you?

Concern of GSIS:
    - academic pressure too high
    - not well rounded; whether tech/science oriented since my daughter has interests to develop in these subject further

like GSIS atmosphere (but just based on school visit and our interaction with school prefects) ; feel it is a friendly community and for a single child family, critical to make good friends at school —pls do share personal experience to confirm whether this is relative better in GSIS or both schools equal

Concern for CIS
    - MYP really depends on school; heard the curriculum has changes and academic results not as consistent as GSIS
    - wonder the culture is more HK or Chinese vs GSIS for secondary; know still majority student background might be HK/Chinese for both schools (for GSIS English stream) but just the value/culture wise, hope to let my daughter have a more international study environment (we are not local HK family; Asian not western)
    -heard some past incident for the HZ trip; Originally I think it is a plus but since I have a daughter …certainly hesitation

Last edited by Kate2021; 16-01-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Again, both are ideal schools for my daughter so we applied at the first place. Just hope to find one that fits better given we have the offers Thanks a lot for all the experienced parents to share valuable perspectives!!!

Last edited by Kate2021; 16-01-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate2021:
    Concern of GSIS:
    - academic pressure too high
    - not well rounded; whether tech/science oriented since my daughter has interests to develop in these subject further

like GSIS atmosphere (but just based on school visit and our interaction with school prefects) ; feel it is a friendly community and for a single child family, critical to make good friends at school —pls do share personal experience to confirm whether this is relative better in GSIS or both schools equal

Concern for CIS
    - MYP really depends on school; heard the curriculum has changes and academic results not as consistent as GSIS
    - wonder the culture is more HK or Chinese vs GSIS for secondary; know still majority student background might be HK/Chinese but just the value/culture wise, hope to let my daughter have a more international study environment (we are not local HK family; Asian not western)
    -heard some past incident for the HZ trip; Originally I think it is a plus but since I have a daughter …certainly hesitation
    - Disagree GSIS academic pressure is too high (CIS is much higher; perhaps relates to the "more Chinese" student body); in fact, this is a plus for GSIS is that it is more of a "well-rounded", "find your passion" type of international school instead of CIS, which incorporates the tough academic demands you would expect from an elite local school like St Pauls or DBS.

- GSIS class size is smaller, but from my experience both CIS and GSIS are close knit

- CIS alum are much more likely to stay and work in HK post-university, so if your children want to stay in HK during adulthood CIS would provide a better network

- CIS is increasingly filled with rich mainland families; not a plus/con, just a point of note

- As for Hangzhou trip, yes when you send a bunch of Year 11 boys/girls abroad for a year, things are bound to happen... and some parents are also concerned of the "propaganda", e.g. "Look how nice things are up here! Look how high tech Hangzhou is!", but again this is a personal preference

Hope this helps a bit!
    shri likes this.

GSIS,100%.

Thanks eightfivetwo and axama.
    Relieved to see you confirm that academic pressure won’t be higher than CIS. This is how we felt when talking to prefects. They shared with us a lot of extracurricular activities they did with passion and when we probed, they told us they don’t feel academic pressure at all and the school guides them well so they automatically have good study habit/rhythms.

axama likes this.