• 3 Post By saltywetman
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By statman
  • 3 Post By merchantms
  • 1 Post By merchantms

People Leaving HK & International School Openings

Closed Thread

People Leaving HK & International School Openings

In terms of evidence of people leaving HK. I applied for my 2 kids to join a very highly regarded international school for the next school year that normally has long waiting lists and needs parents to register their kids at birth.

It took 11 days between applying to have the assessments and getting an offer (offer came hours after the assessment). Of course, I’m delighted for my kids, but this also paints a very worrying picture of the expat exodus in HK.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    In terms of evidence of people leaving HK. I applied for my 2 kids to join a very highly regarded international school for the next school year that normally has long waiting lists and needs parents to register their kids at birth.

It took 11 days between applying to have the assessments and getting an offer (offer came hours after the assessment). Of course, I’m delighted for my kids, but this also paints a very worrying picture of the expat exodus in HK.
    Big worry is teachers, heard a lot have resigned and will leave HK this summer.

Exactly, it's my number one worry for kids once school resumes. I've already noticed that there were many new teachers last year and mostly young ones. Nothing against it but skills also goes with experience... So I'm wondering how established international schools will handle this turnover while preserving the quality of teaching.
    Offering larger compensation might help but I'm not sure parents will be willing to pay even more expensive tuition fees..

Wait until the summer

You ain't seen nothing yet

Original Post Deleted
    The pay here looks attractive but you have the outgoings to match. Buddy of mine is a teacher and has worked in other Asian countries, he was able to put a good bit away in two of those countries on less pay because he spent a lot less and lived a lot better. He has married a local lady so HK has attractions other than money. He cannot persuade her to leave!

My concern is continuity, I do not know how new teachers can be on top form landing into Hong Kong. Luckily the bars are closed! I get the impression many new arrivals are in party mode. Established long term staff have had their fun and know the schools (especially IB teaching), Hong Kong and the culture. They seem to be the ones leaving.
    shri, Sage and fruitsalad like this.

Original Post Deleted
    There are a lot of options available to the qualified. Anyways all a part of the annual musical chairs game.. Just a wee bit amplified by all local social issues.
    saltywetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    There are a lot of options available to the qualified. Anyways all a part of the annual musical chairs game.. Just a wee bit amplified by all local social issues.
    When is main recruitment season? If it was while we had flight bans/2-3 week quarantine, how can we expect good quality teachers to be coming in this summer to replace those with years of experience who are leaving?
    saltywetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    When is main recruitment season? If it was while we had flight bans/2-3 week quarantine, how can we expect good quality teachers to be coming in this summer to replace those with years of experience who are leaving?
    No clue.. but I'd assume remote consultants, online interviews / tours etc... hard as hell, but I suspect it can be done.

I don't remember what the hiring seasons is ... used to be an anticipated jolly by many ESF principals who got all expenses paid trips to recruitment fairs etc..