Like Tree4Likes

Taking A level exam in my 30s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Taking A level exam in my 30s

I'm in my 30s with a full time job. I did not finish secondary education, is it too late to take A-levels exam? Where can I start? Looking for some advice

A Levels as in UK year 13 qualifications?

I don't think this route is cheap here in HK.

https://www.itseducation.asia/private-candidate

Quote Originally Posted by boblazar:
    I'm in my 30s with a full time job. I did not finish secondary education, is it too late to take A-levels exam? Where can I start? Looking for some advice
    Your A Levels would effectively be defunct by now anyway, nothing beats work experience, especially some grades in arbitrary subjects you would have taken when you were 18,

So if you are doing it in the belief it might help with your career aspirations i wouldn't bother. A degree might be more useful but even then it really depends on what you want to do/what you are doing now in terms of career.

Looking more into self-study route.

I took an A level in economics at 32. Followed by a degree but that was in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Your A Levels would effectively be defunct by now anyway, nothing beats work experience, especially some grades in arbitrary subjects you would have taken when you were 18
    There are career paths, academic entry requirements and even immigration criteria based on secondary education so it's not nonsensical.
    @OP do you need UK A-levels or would any secondary qualification suffice? I think the US has a much much larger share of the population getting its High School Equivalency later in life, hence the support system is a lot bigger
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    There are career paths, academic entry requirements and even immigration criteria based on secondary education so it's not nonsensical.
    @OP do you need UK A-levels or would any secondary qualification suffice? I think the US has a much much larger share of the population getting its High School Equivalency later in life, hence the support system is a lot bigger
    I know what you are saying but i was replying specifically for this individual who is already in Hong Kong by the looks of it. I dont think secondary education would be a point of contention for somebody already into their thirties unless they were looking at entry level jobs in a completely different sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Your A Levels would effectively be defunct by now anyway, nothing beats work experience, especially some grades in arbitrary subjects you would have taken when you were 18,

So if you are doing it in the belief it might help with your career aspirations i wouldn't bother. A degree might be more useful but even then it really depends on what you want to do/what you are doing now in terms of career.
    In most instances I think you are right, but there are exceptions. For example, I was set for an interview with a hedge fund (aged around 30), who then retracted the interview offer when they found out I got a B in one of my A-levels.
    Trebor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    In most instances I think you are right, but there are exceptions. For example, I was set for an interview with a hedge fund (aged around 30), who then retracted the interview offer when they found out I got a B in one of my A-levels.
    I wouldnt want to work for a company like that in the first place. That's ridiculous.
    saltywetman and chuckster007 like this.

Yeah agreed, probably a dodged bullet. A blanket policy from the most senior fund manager apparently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast