Like Tree9Likes

International Secondary School & Living in Hong Kong Island - Recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you can’t find a school in HK Island, or decide to stay in New Territories and change school, pls pls pls avoid Malvern College. Terrible school, where teachers are inexperienced. My kid’s teacher doesn’t correct their English grammar and plays them YouTube videos for their maths lessons. Absolutely awful… best decision was transferring my kid out of Malvern.

Giggsy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Not sure where you are working but if it's near Central, you could consider Discovery Bay. Not sure their summer activities sponsored by the schools but I think, in general, there are summer activities for children in DB through a resident's association/club. There is Discovery Bay International School and Renaissance College (ESF). Worth at least looking into if the geography works for you. I did the ferry for 4 years from Peng Chau (similar distance) and it's not a bad commute to Central at all (and I worked in Sheung Wan, even getting there, not bad). Probably get a lot more space in DB, which is always a plus. As to DB itself, people either love it or hate it, only you can decide which group you are in...
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    I will see DB. But, it is probably the 2nd option for us. One of the reason is because we have a car at the moment and still have to decide if we will let it go or not. The other reason is a commute.
    I will check anyway, thank you so much!
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GooBee:
    If you can’t find a school in HK Island, or decide to stay in New Territories and change school, pls pls pls avoid Malvern College. Terrible school, where teachers are inexperienced. My kid’s teacher doesn’t correct their English grammar and plays them YouTube videos for their maths lessons. Absolutely awful… best decision was transferring my kid out of Malvern.
    Thanks for sharing your concern. Much appreciated. I take note of that.

Hmmm....my kid is at Malvern and we are extremely happy. Have seen.great progress in academics and personal development. Teachers are professional and experienced. Horses for courses I guess.

Last edited by SinCWB; 25-08-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quote Originally Posted by SinCWB:
    Hmmm....my kid is at Malvern and we are extremely happy. Have seen.great progress in academics and personal development. Teachers are professional and experienced. Horses for courses I guess.
    Yeah, I totally understand that it all could vary among students. I think what parents can support is eventually to find out the best environment for each child.
    We are all different and that’s what makes us wonderful. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SinCWB:
    Point taken, I suppose I shouldn’t tarnish the whole school with the same brush, guess I was just disappointed and expected too much.

When my kid took the entrance exam, he said it was really difficult as the maths included “fractions dividing by fractions,” so we thought this was an academically challenging school. After 2 years at the school, the maths they were reaching was fairly basic and my kid had learnt it all before in the local school. What annoyed me the most, was when I saw my kid watching YouTube videos on maths and he told me that the teacher plays YouTube maths videos for them in class and gives them the link to watch again at home. He was in primary school at the time… but why am I paying money for a private school teacher to play YouTube videos to my son? Perhaps ask your child if they have also been learning maths though YouTube videos? Maybe it was just that particular teacher and all the others are good, but many things including the cancellation of hot food catering facilities, dis-organised school events, etc just really got to me.

Anyhow, we’ve moved on, so really shouldn’t be saying too much.

you cant go wrong with the big names, CDNIS, ISF, HKIS, CIS, HARROWS, SIS. Did i miss any?

GreenTeaCookies likes this.

FIS, Kellett.

Singapore international school? Japanese International School? Victoria Shanghai Academy? ISF?

May I ask why you wont consider ESF?

Thanks a lot everyone, I will check those schools directly. Then, I think I can figure out much more.

If ESF, I would check Discovery College or RCHK because they are private independent schools. But, I am considering them as the 2nd option at the moment due to the locations.
    Will see.

Thanks a lot