Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By jgl
  • 3 Post By rani

primary schools and areas

Closed Thread

primary schools and areas

Landlord is turfing us out. This gives us a chance to re-evaluate things a bit.

Kids presently in YCIS Kowloon Tong. They don't seem to mind it. New teachers, etc. Campus is a bit old and we're paying towards the higher end fees wise. They will move to primary next year. Would potentially consider moving to new location. Presently location is very "local" and haven't really clicked with anyone in the neighbourhood (and likewise with parents at the school).

Wish list for new location would be as follows: good schools nearby and walking distance, an "international" community, close to MTR (with decent travel to Central and Kwai Fong (am I asking for too much lol)!!

Could potentially consider Beacon Hill and try for Beacon Hill ESF, but how are the chances? Any way of finding out in advance or is it a bit of luck of the draw?

Anyway going to open it up to you guys to tell me to find my way to the airport and stop complaining!!

I can suggest TKO with FIS and Shrewsbury international school nearby.
    Or maybe mid-level. HK Island side may have retained a little bit more international student in its international schools.
    Either way, going to kwai Fong will take more time though.

I think if you want a more "international" community, you have to live on the HK Island side. Kowloon/New Territories will always be more locally dominated. Most expats and/or HK people who studied abroad and moved back for work all typically choose HK Island.

With that said, I would consider living near Happy Valley for a more closer "international" community. I would only go as far as Tai Koo (East area) to as far west to Kennedy Town (West area). That entire vicinity typically yields the best "international" community. I would also say Stanley, but you did mention that you want to be close to Central & commutable to Kwai Fong lol.

ESF would be a good bet Has lots of branches on HK Island, has a bit of a mix community, and is the go-to for many HK'ers. If you want next level up, you can consider FIS / Harrow / IMS. All nearby and doable. I would mention CIS / GSIS etc. but then as you said, the chances of getting in may be slimmer as it's hard to get into those schools.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    ESF would be a good bet Has lots of branches on HK Island, has a bit of a mix community, and is the go-to for many HK'ers. If you want next level up, you can consider FIS / Harrow / IMS. All nearby and doable. I would mention CIS / GSIS etc. but then as you said, the chances of getting in may be slimmer as it's hard to get into those schools.
    My observation of ESF (primary) is that it's mostly local and mainlander. Some ABC/OBC families, but mostly local, possibly with access to foreign passports (which is the criteria that allows them to say that X percentage are international students). The occasional brown or white kid. But not what I'd call a serious international mix. Especially given the changes several years ago that guarantee primary entry to nursery students.
    ndt, Mrs. Jones and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Kids presently in YCIS Kowloon Tong. They don't seem to mind it. New teachers, etc. Campus is a bit old and we're paying towards the higher end fees wise. They will move to primary next year. Would potentially consider moving to new location. Presently location is very "local" and haven't really clicked with anyone in the neighbourhood (and likewise with parents at the school).

Wish list for new location would be as follows: good schools nearby and walking distance, an "international" community, close to MTR (with decent travel to Central and Kwai Fong (am I asking for too much lol)!!

Could potentially consider Beacon Hill and try for Beacon Hill ESF, but how are the chances? Any way of finding out in advance or is it a bit of luck of the draw?

Anyway going to open it up to you guys to tell me to find my way to the airport and stop complaining!!
    You know which school I'm going to recommend. We were very happy with Kellett after ESF primary. Am not a fan of ESF PYP-IB. So many parents are supplementing with extra Maths/English/Mandarin after school. So once you add the cost of those extra classes you might as well choose a school with a better curriculum.

Friends who had kids at YCIS had to move their kids after a change of job. They decided to go with Singapore Int'l. They did give the Mum a bit of grief that the kids' Mandarin were not up to their level and recommended a tutor the summer before starting. Overall they were happy with the school.

If you decide to stay in Kowloon, there are other schools to look at like Shrewsbury and Nord Anglia.

Beacon Hill had a fantastic Principal, Brenda Cook. Son had her at Glenealy. She's just moved to Kennedy School in Pok Fu Lam.
    jgl, rkenia852 and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    My observation of ESF (primary) is that it's mostly local and mainlander. Some ABC/OBC families, but mostly local, possibly with access to foreign passports (which is the criteria that allows them to say that X percentage are international students). The occasional brown or white kid. But not what I'd call a serious international mix. Especially given the changes several years ago that guarantee primary entry to nursery students.
    I think you'll find ESF Kowloon Junior has a little bit more than the "occasional brown or white kid", especially brown.

But yes, generally ESF is predominantly local (I assume by local you mean ethnically Chinese), especially the Kowloon and NT schools

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

you can think DB if you don't mind. Vibrant community and good school.