Like Tree14Likes

Amo, amas, amat ..... again or something more useful

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Amo, amas, amat ..... again or something more useful

UK gov spending £4m to teach Latin to kids in state schools and £16.4m Mandarin Excellence Programme

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...dern-languages

My daughter took Latin for a couple of years in middle school because it was a very fundamentalist Catholic school and the Catholic church is probably the only remaining organization in the modern era still using Latin. So, in their mind, made sense. Otherwise, not so much...

I was backpacking through Eastern Europe one summer during high school, and believe it or not, I communicated with others at the hostel in Latin, because we didn't have any other language in common.

So yeah, I'm all good with learning latin.

Also because that doesn't mean your can't at the same time learn another language, too..

Not much real world use but still useful at most crucial need - when you have a poltergeist in your house

I took three years of Latin. Helped with my understanding of grammar when I studied other languages but not much else.

Bo, bis bit . . . bimus

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I was backpacking through Eastern Europe one summer during high school, and believe it or not, I communicated with others at the hostel in Latin, because we didn't have any other language in common.

So yeah, I'm all good with learning latin.

Also because that doesn't mean your can't at the same time learn another language, too..
    Reminded me of this one …
    Name:  F88CA5F1-EF06-41F6-85E5-885497C48920.gif
Views: 756
Size:  722.8 KB

Knowing Latin is not a useful life skill, better learn one of the Romance languages on top, or instead of Latin.

Learning a bit of conversational French, German, Italian or Spanish makes perfect sense, but the way languages are taught doesn't focus on that sort of usability. And then even taken to an advanced school level French and German are still rather useless in the real world as your counterparts invariably speak far better English than you do their language. (I have an A grade AS level in French but the only detailed business/admin conversation I've ever had without forced dropping into English was to get some support on a workaround from their vaccine pass in summer 2021 as it wouldn't take a HK QR code and the lady on the phone didn't understand a single word of english!).

Mandarin makes great sense in theory but I can't see there being enough teachers to make it mainstream any time soon, and it's so hard that it'd need a disproportionate amount of curriculum time.

So then I think you come back to learning a foreign language as being (for most people) only useful in really making you think about how grammar works, and to broaden understanding of etymology. Latin works for that. But Spanish is still useful in the real world as there are many in Spain and Latin America who don't speak any real English... and it is an easier language to get good at than French or German, and it reads across easily into Italian, and the Portuguese/Brazilians will understand you too. So that's probably where I'd focus.

“ French and German are still rather useless in the real world as your counterparts invariably speak far better English than you do their language.”

That’s what I thought for a long time.
    Turned out in the former Soviet Union many (now old ) people learnt German at school, so they speak German but not English.

Name:  Most-Popular-Languages_Main.png
Views: 198
Size:  1.01 MB

Better off learning conversational accounting than conversational French

Name:  slide_1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  44.2 KB
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast