Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By shri
  • 3 Post By GotIt
  • 1 Post By O_O

Cantonese Lessons - has anyone tried the one at HKU Space?

Cantonese Lessons - has anyone tried the one at HKU Space?

Looking to pick up my Cantonese again after taking lessons a while ago.

I found HKU Space has a course, $7,100 for 50 hours. Has anyone tried it?

https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/int-can...inese-speakers

I've also heard of Hope Centre, $100 for 50 lessons but their website isn't updated for 2023.

isshk-hope.org/upcoming%20cantonese.html

Or are there any recommended online platforms?

Thanks!

Would strongly recommend Hope to pick up for basics for the cost of three coffees .. I did the basic class and the Mrs did the advanced class and we picked up a lot trivia and words / grammar / social etiquette.

You have to sign up at Hope in person anyway, so go there and enquire when their classes start. $100 vs $7100 is a no brainer.

check facebook pages for HOPE and CHEER centres. both are good to start.

Quote Originally Posted by GotIt:
    check facebook pages for HOPE and CHEER centres. both are good to start.
    Aren't these organisations for ethnic minorities, refugees, etc in HK?

If you're serious about learning then get a private tutor. Plenty of university students do language tutoring for canto/mando.
    rkenia852 likes this.

If you’re not Chinese - you’re ethnic minority in Hong Kong.
    If you’re serious then way better to get jumpstarted from reputable places like these, and later continue into more expensive options. Rather than start sponsoring random guys looking for extra bucks, without understanding if they have any teaching methodology at all.
    I would say there are some bad teachers in HOPE center (go for anybody but William ).
    But people should look for private tutoring when they already got some basics, and know what they want from it. Otherwise it’s waste of money on services of unguaranteed quality.

You clearly haven’t tried either option, otherwise you would have suggested something/somebody specifically.
    Interesting to see that you’re posting on something you have no idea about.

shri, saltywetman and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lxnd2:
    Looking to pick up my Cantonese again after taking lessons a while ago.

I found HKU Space has a course, $7,100 for 50 hours. Has anyone tried it?

https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/int-can...inese-speakers

I've also heard of Hope Centre, $100 for 50 lessons but their website isn't updated for 2023.

isshk-hope.org/upcoming%20cantonese.html

Or are there any recommended online platforms?

Thanks!
    I did the introductory course, not the intermediate. I found the classes OK, it was fun to meet some new people also in the classroom. I'm not very good at languages and since I did not study so hard between classes I fell a bit behind the average level of the class. So towards the end of the programme I felt I would have needed more 1on1 time with the teacher to follow along but that was not really available. A 1on1 teacher had for sure given me more but would also have cost a bit more..

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll pay a visit to HOPE and look into CHEER too. I’m not a beginner and I already know the basics so hopefully they also have intermediate levels.

I’ll still consider HKU space if that seems more structured or advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by lxnd2:
    I’m not a beginner and I already know the basics so hopefully they also have intermediate levels.
    HOPE has intermediate and advanced classes when needed.

I was with Chinese University which classes were held in TST. My focus was on the literacy and reading skills. Good experience.