Like Tree37Likes

YCIS - Any Feedback on this school?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well, if you consider that due to low / almost non - existent birth rate / BNO that even private schools like Tak Nga are shutting down gradually, one wonders how the international schools will survive if at all.

Tak https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...on-wave-demise

I think what's absolutely crazy is how much demand exceeds supply here for education.

I went to a 'free' public school in the USA (of course tax payer money for the school) in California. No uniforms and very low outside activity costs. I ended up going to top 20 school in the USA with full scholarship. Some of my high school classmates went to Havard, Stanford, etc. as well.

Now you look at the cost of these schools (2.4m+ - ), probably will be higher with the educational inflation and what actual universities people get into... value for money definitely isn't there...

Better off saving the 2.4m, investing it in a market index and give it to your kid when they turn 18 or 22 . For the majority, probably better value for money! Just my 2 cents...

Mrs. Jones and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Well, if you consider that due to low / almost non - existent birth rate / BNO that even private schools like Tak Nga are shutting down gradually, one wonders how the international schools will survive if at all.

Tak https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...on-wave-demise
    This is the new trend these last few years. Lots of local schools are losing students as they 1) emmigrate to UK, 2) move to an international school to avoid the Chinese curriculum, or 3) use this opportunity to move to a top local school like SPCC, SPC, DGS, DBS, QC etc. since there is less local competition. This is honestly nothing new.

If you search top international/private/local schools, the demand for these locations actually increases vs. before. The biggest losers in this situation are the local schools whom are not as prestigious in brand as they continue to see a lack of student pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by etambusiness:
    I think what's absolutely crazy is how much demand exceeds supply here for education.

I went to a 'free' public school in the USA (of course tax payer money for the school) in California. No uniforms and very low outside activity costs. I ended up going to top 20 school in the USA with full scholarship. Some of my high school classmates went to Havard, Stanford, etc. as well.

Now you look at the cost of these schools (2.4m+ - ), probably will be higher with the educational inflation and what actual universities people get into... value for money definitely isn't there...

Better off saving the 2.4m, investing it in a market index and give it to your kid when they turn 18 or 22 . For the majority, probably better value for money! Just my 2 cents...
    Mate same here. I grew up in Canada, educated in the public system, and I wouldnt say Im that horrible. But I would say that as long as you earning money in HK, you make much more after taxes (depending on your job area). So since im stuck here because I also need to make a cushion living for myself and my family, the question then becomes what is the best available education for my child. Unfortunately local schools are out of the question, so then i am playing in a very small pool of international schools which offer a strong curriculum offering.
    Beanieskis and Apjace like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Mate same here. I grew up in Canada, educated in the public system, and I wouldnt say Im that horrible..
    Delia School might be a good one to look at?

hong kong tax you by high rent and high education fees. in the end, its all the same

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Delia School might be a good one to look at?
    DSC International school. Its part of Delia group of schools but DSC specifically follows the Ontario education system.
    shri likes this.

"Unfortunately local schools are out of the question"

Even EMI schools?

Quote Originally Posted by becomjapanHK:
    "Unfortunately local schools are out of the question"

Even EMI schools?

If you read some of the NET and expat facebook groups, EMI has 30-70% canto in class.
    Complaints about Band1 English teacher that couldn't understand what the NET teacher was saying and needed a 3rd party to translate...

It may be like in a lot of countries, bad teachers stick around and the school system can't move them out. Private schools may have more power to manage out bad teachers, plus move bad students out...

ymmv
    7jai likes this.

So I recently went on the YCIS school campus tour, and after speaking to their teaching staff team/principals and also viewing the entire environment/vibe, we concluded that it just wasn't the right "fit" for us. Or it wasn't exactly what we were looking for our child. So we will probably look at other options now.

Thanks all for the help!