British Council vs. Elite English Learning Centre

Hi All,

My friend needs to do her IELTS Exam in March 09.

Just wonder if anyone have thoughts about either British Council or Elite English IELTS Course? Or other recommendation for IELTS Course in HK?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
    Stephen

Perhaps I shouldn't reply here as I've no knowledge of the "Elite English" company and their IELTS course; but since no one else has yet responded to your query, I'll attempt to answer part of it (till another more informed poster comes along!).

Having trained a while in the Brit Council (a teachers' course), I've recommended its IELTS courses - either the in-class instruction and practice OR the self-study one - to interested locals, e.g. pre-uni kids about to apply for study overseas, or undergrads in their final year at uni here, looking for another recognised English "exit exam"(?).

As your friend (who is asking) may already know - the IELTS exam dates are frequent throughout the year. If s/he somewhat misses the mark the first time, it can be, quite swiftly, taken again and again till the desired "level" is reached. (Handy, eh? like increasing one's IQ test scores through practice ) However, if one needs the result BY a certain time, say, for filling-in paperwork, it's up to the individual to organise his/her studies to arrive at that goal sooner.

So... it's NOT always which institution is better at helping you, but just how motivated and persistent you are in your chosen endeavour. Sure some other light will be shed on this... Best o' luck.

Hi Emmie,

Many thanks for your feedback. My friend recently registered into the Elite English IELTS Course, and I understand the main reason for that decision was due to the individual skills focus of the Elite course. Apparently, Elite focuses on small group class options so that individual feedback and support can be provided. This was her main reason for attending Elite's course instead. It's funny that she came across a friend of hers studying at the same centre.

It seems both Elite and British Council offer the same course but they attract students with different needs and expectations.

Thanks again and happy new year to you