Like Tree10Likes

Home Fees in UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home Fees in UK

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone understands the requirements to get home fees for uni in UK. There was recent change stating no longer a requirement to hv settled status on first day of first year of course. But after review we are still not entitled as need to hv been in the UK 3 yrs before start of course. We are British citizens and always hv been living in HK. Not sure where the change is? Any one facing same situation or shed light?

It is down to the university. My daughter did her whole secondary education here in HK and was offered home status at some universities but not at others. Overseas fees were not an option we could afford so she accepted the university that offered home status.

Citizenship does not confer the right to home status. Offering proof of strong UK ties helps in some cases.

Thanks for your response. May I know what items wld be considered as 'strong ties'?

Under current guidelines you (Your kids) don’t qualify unless you fall in one th their criteria.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...rt-in-england/

However, Universities might allocate “Home Fee Status” on a discretionary basis, if you can show you have strong links to the U.K. Try and give as much evidence as possible.

For example:-

Have U.K. Passport
    Have family in the UK, Grand Parents in the U.K. etc.
    Regularly fly back to the UK
    Maintain a family home in the U.K. Receipts: Poll Tax, Utility Bills, Home Insurance.
    That moving to HK was a “temporary work measure” and long term you intend to move back/retire in the U.K.

Whatever you can provide that can strengthen your case, the better.

Assuming you get “Home Fee Status”, yours kids won’t qualify for the Student Loans as this is more stringent

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-loans-company

shri, hullexile and saltywetman like this.

Tbh, if you don't pay income tax on a full time job in the UK, why should your kids deserve to pay home fees?

It really depends on the Uni and course. My kid is born and raised in HK and was not offered Home Fees at any of his unis. Whereas, some of his friends who have ties to the UK i.e. family own a property, go back every year, parents are on Expat work contracts etc were offered home status. Some other friends went to the UK for 6th form, and although were only there for 2 years vs 3 were offered Home status at a couple of places.

I remember Exeter awarding a bursary to Intl students of 9-10KGBP if they made it their first choice. They did have to maintain a min grade and if they did were offered the same terms in Y2 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Tbh, if you don't pay income tax on a full time job in the UK, why should your kids deserve to pay home fees?
    See @ArrynField's post.

Quote Originally Posted by saltywetman:
    See @ArrynField's post.
    Which bit?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Which bit?
    That it is not about paying taxes. With that logic the underpaid should not be allowed into Uni.
    saltywetman and grammer-nazi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That it is not about paying taxes. With that logic the underpaid should not be allowed into Uni.
    I couldn't see the connection between the two posts.

The home fees will cover the marginal costs of an extra student if the university has places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast