Like Tree13Likes

Budget options for playgroups for 18 months old

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Frighteningly, in HK, the "right" playgroup on your resume leads to the "right" 2 year old class, setting you up, of course, for the "right" kindergarten that can get you in to the primary school of your choice, watched the madness with my coworker's daughter. And, yes, some people pick a particular religious group like Catholic or Anglican, if seeking admission to a particular school in one of those denominations.
    All too exhausting for me. I moved around a lot during my daughter's preschool years and found out that when it came time for admission to private schools, when we were new in town there were no extra places at the kindergarten level. This was in the US. I was looking at private schools solely because they offered full day kindergarten, which my local public schools did not offer. She ended up in Catholic kindergarten as a result.
    I do not envy anyone just trying to give their children a normal childhood experience with socializing, fun, etc. rather than the relentless pursuit of the next level.

parenting

Hi.
    I'm a 'foreigner' (British) parent here in Hong Kong.

I have 3 daughters (1, 4, and 6) all going through the system in one way or another.

My children initially went to an 'international' Montessori kindergarten, which was expensive, but also a bit rubbish.

The 2 older girls now go to a local kindergarten and are so much better off developmentally (K1 and K3, cantonese is the main language at the school). My daughter in K1 is picking up the language tremendously well; my K3 daughter finds it tougher and prefers English by far. She will be going to P1 in September, and we decided to keep her in the local system rather than international school. Her class will be an 'English Enhancement' class in P1, which means that the English, Maths and GS classes for her group are all taught in English. The PE/Music/other will be in Cantonese. There are a large number of NCS students also, which will make it easier for her.

Feel free to reach out to me for any questions, as from September I'll be navigating Primary, Kindergarten, and Playgroup in 3 different locations!

Apologies for the shit post ... but whatever you do, stay away from these "barbie" classes..

Again.. apologies for this, self respecting parents should not be seeing this.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 3.46.52 PM.png
Views: 176
Size:  345.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Apologies for the shit post ... but whatever you do, stay away from these "barbie" classes..

Again.. apologies for this, self respecting parents should not be seeing this.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 3.46.52 PM.png
Views: 176
Size:  345.4 KB
    This is exactly what I am trying to avoid, throwing money just to keep kids occupied.

Sorry I am semi-literate: so what is this barbie class about?

We visited Guidepoint montessori (now merged with Woodlands) which seems like the kind of playgroup/nursery we're used to here in the UK. But also considering this other one called Mulberry House but haven't been there yet.

The fees are pretty punchy but we're going for the experience rather than childcare. Not yet decided on where/what to do!

Also curious this whole barbie thing so we can avoid whatever that is

I know some little girls who would LOVE to do "Frozen" or "Barbie" as a summer camp experience! My kid enrolled in kind of ballet- more like they acted out the stories of ballet, this was around 7 or 8 years old. My child, then and now, has no dancing skills whatsover consistent with the lack of skills of her parents and extended family. But she had fun!! They did a production of the Nutcracker (like a halfway decent one, with pretty great costumes). For whatever reason, the soldier costumes were sized for 8 year olds (these were 2nd hand from some actual small ballet company). The soldiers in the Nutcracker mostly just chase the mice/rats, requiring little to no dancing skill. Anyway, she had a blast, one of the very few extracurricular activities she participated in, she was, and is, a bookworm.

Not everything needs to be about learning. She taught herself to read, is incredibly smart, so just having fun, yeah, I am up for that. 90 percent of little girls want to be Elsa from Frozen (as mine wanted to be Little Mermaid, having the red hair, we had a bathing suit...) so no harm in a week of summer fun.

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I know some little girls who would LOVE to do "Frozen" or "Barbie" as a summer camp experience! My kid enrolled in kind of ballet- more like they acted out the stories of ballet, this was around 7 or 8 years old. My child, then and now, has no dancing skills whatsover consistent with the lack of skills of her parents and extended family. But she had fun!! They did a production of the Nutcracker (like a halfway decent one, with pretty great costumes). For whatever reason, the soldier costumes were sized for 8 year olds (these were 2nd hand from some actual small ballet company). The soldiers in the Nutcracker mostly just chase the mice/rats, requiring little to no dancing skill. Anyway, she had a blast, one of the very few extracurricular activities she participated in, she was, and is, a bookworm.

Not everything needs to be about learning. She taught herself to read, is incredibly smart, so just having fun, yeah, I am up for that. 90 percent of little girls want to be Elsa from Frozen (as mine wanted to be Little Mermaid, having the red hair, we had a bathing suit...) so no harm in a week of summer fun.
    That is so not Hong Kong
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2