Local vs. International Kindergarten/Primary Schools

Closed Thread

Local vs. International Kindergarten/Primary Schools

Hi All!

I am completely green and am considering moving to HK with my family (DH and 2 boys). We need to find accomodation near good schools. I would welcome any comments on schools in HK. My boys are 2 and 5 years old.

Thanks, in advance!

hey. the best bet is probably to move to the island and once there the school you chose really depends on where you live. hk small enough to get anywhere and all the primary schools run buses everywhere. i cant really remember kindergarten so i'll talk about primary school.

basically theres brabury, peak and kellet (im sure ive left some out) that are the main expat primary schools. unless your kids speak cantonese there may be some issues with other schools brabury is closest for the southsiders. peak school obviously for those on the peak and kellet for those on west side. but really it doesnt matter. all are really international. all the schools are good and theres still a bit of comp between them i still know a couple of people from my old class. in short it doesnt really matter too much.

Check out Kowloon Tong. It's a kindergarten/primary school wonderland.

Hi Dry Herring,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, we (Dad, Mom, Son 7, Daughter 4) are due in Hong Kong July 18. My children have just been accepted into the American International School in Kowloon Tong. We chose to find the school first then look for a place to live close to the school.
    I would suggest that, ASAP, find a school on the internet. I at first typed in Hong Kong International schools and then Education hong Kong, and found alot of information and choices.
    Oddly enough, your son, being five, was born in the "Year of the Dragon", w/ the year 2000 ending in double zeros. According to Chinese culture this makes for a very lucky baby, hence, many many births that year. Making school openings difficult for kindergardeners. Act quickly, schools start at the end of August.
    Check out http://www.moveandstay.com/hongkong/...al_schools.asp
    There is a Norwegian International school in Tai Po.

Best of Luck