Living at CUHK halls

Closed Thread

Living at CUHK halls

I just secured a 1 year exchange placement and was wondering how much more fun is it living in the halls? What do students do ect?

I was wondering the same thing

Hi I am also placed for a year at CUHK and I have heard that the hostels are pretty strict. Where are you from?

I had friends who lived in there and they really didn't like it. The halls are very quiet, just long corridors of closed bedroom doors. People don't seem to mix there like they did at the University I attended in the UK and there was very little atmosphere. You're not really supposed to have guests (unless you tell them and they charge an additional fee) but most of my friends did sneak people in and out. The upside is that the halls are on campus so you don't have the long commute out to Shatin to contend with everyday. There is also a bar on site that sells cheap drinks!

I'm a postgrad at CUHK, so I also only know hear-say.... One important thing though, you will have at least one roommate and if I were you, I'd rather ask to be matched with a local than with a mainland student (Just tell them you wanna learn Cantonese instead of Putonghua). You will find generally that their lifestyle corresponds to that of western teenagers - think computer games and mahjeuk instead of clubbing and drinking. But mainland students have quite some additional pressure to perform well in class and therefore often have very limited social activities. Just my 2c.

Oh, and Daisy Lee Hall has stunning views of Tolo Harbour. I-House, on the contrary, is a bit more party-oriented, but really inconveniently located.

i graduated fr CUHK. well it really depends on the halls u have chosen. some smaller halls have better atmosphere and ppl r more willing to mingle. and think the old halls are better than new ones. believe it or not, ppl who live in newer halls tend to stay in their own rooms more often. And a female hall can be like a convent sometimes...