Finance course...FRM or CFA?

Closed Thread

Finance course...FRM or CFA?

Hi all,

I am looking for kind hearted finance wizard in hnk ,who can guide me regarding CFA or FRM course..I am interested in doing a good finance course.. I have already completed my MBA and right now working for a service sector in Business development function..Would appreciate if somebdoy can guide regarding CFA/FRM ( which one is better..,level of difficulty in passing, etc ) as I have heard these certifications are really good enough. Though I always wanted to do something in Finance, may be in International Finance/Risk analysis & management etc..always avoided my interest as I was not from Quantative study background. Now after acheiving a lilttle stability in my career, I think it may be the right time to pursue my long cherished goals~~ May be Now or never ever..!

Would really appreciate if somebody who has experience in this field, helps me to take the right course and guide me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

AKKi

Can share as I took FRM course with UST

FRM, you need 1 exam, plus I guess 2 years relevant working experience
    CFA, you need 3 exams, plus another relevant experience too

obviously, CFA title would take longer

In terms of difficulty, FRM requires quite a lot quantitative analysis on bond pricing, maturity, blablabla, not easy for some one who hates calculating

In terms of popularity, CFA would have more members, more well known, more jobs state that they require such knowledge though actually they might not. FRM is a bit more "narrow" and they are professional risk managers, as for CFA, one would imagine that they are more versatile

CFA has the much stronger reputation, and is a definate job and in some cases a regulatory requirement if you want to hold particular positions in the finance industry. It is also more internationally recognised, and its toughness reflects its respect and exclusivity.

US and European employers love it, and the CFA will distinguish you from other applicants.

I have worked in the finance industry for a number of years so I know about this.

I would be careful about jumping in to either before you know exactly what role you are applying for. It was unclear in your question, and interviewers will tear you apart for that (trust me, they tore me apart!)Level I CFA is not enough to make a CV jump out, and takes a lot of hours to complete- my opinion is that its a waste, but some will disagree.
    My view is that sitting the first CFA is unlikely to get you closer to an interview, especially as with an MBA you'd be looking to go in as an associate. If you can get an interview, just focus a huge amount of time on accounting/practical skills. You must be able to do comps, precidents, fcf's, LBO analysis, share dilution etc fast and accurately- because if you can't, they can always find someone else who can!

Also, word of warning, its not the glamour job you probably think it is!

Good luck