Star / Celebrity tutors

Closed Thread
    A-J

Star / Celebrity tutors

I was just reading in SCMP that one of celebrity tutors was getting paid 330,000 HKD per month. http://www.modern.edu.hk/html/teacher_profile.php?id=54
    How do they do that?

Last edited by A-J; 28-02-2009 at 01:03 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Your post reminded me of a site I had been meaning to checkout for ages, having seen it plasterd all over town

chausir.net

Anyone care to translate?

Actually any big fish in a small pond can get into this scam, I remember a tv news reader turning his Engish classes into a million dollar a month industry
    I assume he is enjoying life in Canada or Australia.

On the off chance there might be something on the net I googled him and lo behold

Josiah Lau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank the Lord for distinctive biblical names

Reminds me of a tourist guide in HK who makes 300+ K per month.

Didn't RTHK backchat invite one of them onto its call-in programme a year or so ago? Turned out they could hardly speak English in a non exam environment!

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Didn't RTHK backchat invite one of them onto its call-in programme a year or so ago? Turned out they could hardly speak English in a non exam environment!
    Yes that's interesting observation! These guys / "tutor queens" earn more than 330k a month yet speak with a strong HK accent. I'm a Chinese and I don't really mind someone speaking with a local accent, but what makes people so curious about their ability to teach is their way of speaking English! They teach oldish English phrases that normal people like us never use (or seldom use). They can't write good English either... the style just fits the exam genre.

these people just want the kid's money!!! they are buying **** ferraris / lambo...etc