UK/Aust/US Universities in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think you misread what I said. I was trying to suggest that accreditation can be a red herring and is not an indicator but the perception of the degree value is.

We normally just determine the validity of the degree and it not being fake. However, it does arise that firms are concerned with places they have never heard of and where they are run and accredited by places you can't find on the Internet.

I wouldn't get turned on by programs registered with the Education Bureau as even the wall of shame guys are listed there with the good ones that I was careful to suggest are doing good things.

What programs are you referencing?

Last edited by Football16; 20-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I think you misread what I said. I was trying to suggest that accreditation can be a red herring and is not an indicator but the perception of the degree value is.

We normally just determine the validity of the degree and it not being fake. However, it does arise that firms are concerned with places they have never heard of and where they are run and accredited by places you can't find on the Internet.

I wouldn't get turned on by programs registered with the Education Bureau as even the wall of shame guys are listed there with the good ones that I was careful to suggest are doing good things.

What programs are you referencing?

Ah sorry. Is that true about the register? How the hell do the wall of shame ones get through - it's quite a long winded process to register (takes about 5 to 6 months). Then the annual review process, how do they get through that? Still I must admit it is more about bureaucracy and ticking the right boxes than about quality.

I am in charge of courses run in partnership with VTC for one of the UK universities.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Ah sorry. Is that true about the register? How the hell do the wall of shame ones get through - it's quite a long winded process to register (takes about 5 to 6 months). Then the annual review process, how do they get through that? Still I must admit it is more about bureaucracy and ticking the right boxes than about quality.

I am in charge of courses run in partnership with VTC for one of the UK universities.
    I think the Education Bureau Registry is likely fine, but one of the bad ones we just came across sit there nicely and several other local groups offer university courses and they are not on there.

I see one notation on the bad guys file that references a document from 2005 that is needed. It seems not to be updated.

Many of the institutions are likely fine.

My caution to students is seeking the quick fix option that costs a lot of money and then provides limited value as employers look down their noses at them.

Many of the non-traditional degreed folks seem to have jobs and do this stuff at night. The bigger issue is what happens to the new grad.

I would sooner see a person take local courses such as you note or HKU Space Associate degrees and work hard, build up their resumes as they go along and take their chances with good backgrounds than go for something that might look like like a "degree mill."

When I hire I am looking for the demonstration or the potential to demonstrate the skills I need. Even amongst new grads and I hired many of those in former jobs, the institution was less important.

I could give a rats arse what institution the person went to (as long as it is not a degree mill).

I certainly don't mean to diminish the value and importance of the role that local bodies and groups play in educating and training people.

Hopefully the OP will come back and tell us what he/she decides.