Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Hello I am currently a student at Purdue University in the US and am going on an exchange program to Hong Kong Polytechnic University next year. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things I should get involved with on campus or which part of the residence halls you would recommend me living in. I'm really looking forward to visiting Hong Kong and want to make the most of it. Any information on the university at all and what I can get involved with would be really appreciated. Thanks, Tyler

I think you can live on campus,we have nice dorm.
    And I m sure you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by tjgriggs:
    Hello I am currently a student at Purdue University in the US and am going on an exchange program to Hong Kong Polytechnic University next year. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things I should get involved with on campus or which part of the residence halls you would recommend me living in. I'm really looking forward to visiting Hong Kong and want to make the most of it. Any information on the university at all and what I can get involved with would be really appreciated. Thanks, Tyler

I think as an exchange student you should be able to get a space in a hall which are conveniently near to the campus at polyu.

There are lots of student activities at the local universities in Hong Kong, but while most courses are taught and assessed in English, I think you will find that the common language of interaction for students is Cantonese. This can lead to some international students feeling a little left out. There are however, an increasing number of exchange and non local students studying in universities in HK, so perhaps this is changing.

From what I've read and heard, PolyU is very, very local, so I hope you speak Cantonese!

HKU and HKUST are much more cosmopolitan I believe.

ok, now I am kind of nervous because I don't speak any cantonese at all and hopefully I can get by with english. I hope to be able to learn some over summer while I am in my hometown on break from school. susanhst, do you attend PolyU? Do most students speak cantonese to one another and will I have trouble being able to communicate with people that much, because I really want to get to know a lot of people from the area and really experience the culture. I'm really looking forward to putting myself out there and experiencing something that I'm not use to from that of the US as well as Indiana, which is where I have lived my whole life. I hope to get involved with things on campus and that will really help me to get to know people. Is table tennis often played there because I am a huge fan and will probably be playing quite a bit when I can.

I see many Caucasian looking students near the residence halls of HK Poly and I see them most days I pass by there on the bus. I am sure you will be able to communicate with other students or I am also sure they'd not take you if there was no chance of you being able to communicate with other students.

The residences from the outside look decent enough places also. Very nice exteriors. Interiors I don't know.

just take the initiative! im from uk and i went to Hong Kong uni on exchange as well... and its all about getting involved in anything and be willing to try everything! wen i was in hku, i joined our dance team, movie club, did a charity run around hk island, played football, basketball, tennis, volleyball with my hall teams... etc. its jus about geting involved.

yes, poly u is probably more local and the standards of english may not be as high as Hong Kong uni, but the students still have 2 b pretty good jus to get there. so if they dont talk 2 u much, its not so much its not good enough, its more they are not so confident using english. all u gotta do is b extra friendly

but from what i know of uni halls in hk, they have a great hall "spirit" and team ethic and togetherness... so jus get involved and u will be fine

I wonder if students can submit assignments using msn speak now...

I agree that PolyU students have a lower English ability, and that when communicating with their peers they are more likely to use Cantonese (although I'd expect this in every university and workplace where Cantonese is the common language). However, they have to do their assignments in English so they do have the ability to communicate in English, and as has also been said there are increasing numbers of exchange students there. So, don't worry, take the initiative, and have a good experience.

I was a student there and when I came here I can't understand cantonese at all. But it's okay ,don't worry. They can speak english.
    And the university will offer u some mandarin classes if you like.You can make friends with local students and they will teach you cantonese.
    I don't remember if there is table tennis in students' hall,but I think we have in university.

Quote Originally Posted by tjgriggs:
    susanhst, do you attend PolyU? Do most students speak cantonese to one another and will I have trouble being able to communicate with people that much, because I really want to get to know a lot of people from the area and really experience the culture. I'm really looking forward to putting myself out there and experiencing something that I'm not use to from that of the US as well as Indiana, which is where I have lived my whole life. I hope to get involved with things on campus and that will really help me to get to know people. Is table tennis often played there because I am a huge fan and will probably be playing quite a bit when I can.

Also a PolyU exchange student

I'm a student from Canada, also going on an exchange to PolyU starting in September 09! I'm personally not too worried about the language barrier. I'm going to try to pick up the basics over the summer and then just try my best to meet people. Students there take English proficiency tests in order to get in to Uni so they do have the ability.
    As far as the table tennis goes, I'm quite sure I remember seeing a picture of a room full of tables in the residence while I was researching online. There's also a pool and a decent looking gym.
    How long are you going for? 1 semester or 2?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast