Salary for Teaching Assistant in International School

Closed Thread

Salary for Teaching Assistant in International School

What is the approx. salary for a Teaching Assistant in an international school for a native english speaker, holds a business degree, TESOL and a PGDE, but only has about 6 months of practical teaching experience in language centres and teaching practicum combined? Thanks!

look for 15k +/- 10%...

Thanks timklip. Do you know what are the normal qualifications for a teaching assistant in an international school? I'm just a bit concerned I might be overqualified, and this might hinder my chances of getting the job.

they would probably look for a first degree, native English ability, some classroom experience...you prob are a bit overqualified (you could be a registered teacher at EDB) but schools might take your limited exp. into account.

Why not try NET for a while or ESF, to get experience in the classroom...the pay is very competitive if not better (always an ongoing debate)

Last edited by timklip; 24-03-2009 at 11:55 AM.

I'm surprised you only want to be an assistant with a PGDE! You are over qualified!

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydancer2005:
    I'm surprised you only want to be an assistant with a PGDE! You are over qualified!
    keep in mind the better ISs can pick from a large pool of prospective teachers...and a PGDE is a minimum qual. now...many teachers have BEd and MEd AND years of experience...

Received a note from my son's school that they need EAs. The pay is $117/hr. No Education experience necessary.

that sounds like ESF, from the dollar amt...they usually advertise the same in SCMP...often only minimal hrs per week (17 is a usual number) so that's pretty low pay for the OP's quals...

Last edited by timklip; 24-03-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Yes it is ESF, and agree it is low.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Received a note from my son's school that they need EAs. The pay is $117/hr. No Education experience necessary.
    no education experience necessary?

what are the qualifications?