Best International School (US system)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

the IB system is reli gd for transferring to state unis

Best Internation Schoold (US System)

I went to AIS. Dont recommed it at all. Its just a profit making institution that does not focus on education that greatly. They accept anybody as long as you can fork out the money. I graduated in 2000, and believe it or not, we were still using Windows 3.0!!!!!

Not sure if you want to put your kids through that kind of education....

Sydney, then Germany and now Washington DC.

Australian School

Hi ! We are Aussies living in US. We will be moving to HK within 6 Months.
    We would like to send our Child who has Type 1 Diabetes to the Australian School. We tried HK International school but with $500 000 Debenture. WOW!!!!I don't think so! LOL
    Where is a good place to live near Kowloon Tong?
    What is the best Health Insurance to have? We will be visiting Sydney alot and would like International Health Insurance as you never know......
    What are the best Hospital for kids?
    Please help,
    Kindest Regards,
    Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by Mantolli:
    We tried HK International school but with $500 000 Debenture. WOW!!!!I don't think so! LOL
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but the Aussie School lists its debs as being between $60,000 and $1 million, plus you have the annual capital levy (in 2007, $10,500) plus tuition running from $57,900 up to 100,700. The tuitions depend on age, I am guessing the debs do to.
    Depending on age $500,000 might be a bargain.
    Oh, and good places to live in Kowloon Tong---Beacon Hill, Parc Palais. We liked Parc Palais better. This will depend on your housing budget.
    Last edited by Sleuth; 26-07-2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added housing info

Okay if I may take the liberty of clearing up a couple issues here.

First off, all international schools in Hong Kong require English as the primary spoken language throughout school, whether in class or not.

People seem to be getting confused between CIS and ICS. CIS is Chinese International School, a top notch academic school in North Point with a very high tuition rate. ICS is International Christian School, not sure exactly where it is located.

I have been in three international schools within the past 2 years first of which was Sha Tin College, which is part of the ESF (English School Foundation). English School Foundation is a league of schools in Hong Kong which run off the English system of GCSE and IB. These schools include Sha Tin College, King George V, West Island, South Island, Island School, and a couple others. The tuition at ESF schools are relatively low compared to other international schools.

I was in AIS (American International) which is the school you are contemplating attending, and I highly recommend not to. AIS is a private school with very bad facilities for it's tuition rate. There is no debenture, but then again there is no reason to have it as this school accepts anyone, no matter what they have done. In AIS there are drug dealers, boys whose fathers are triad bosses, and much more. Smoking is a big problem in this school, and I speak not on a biased opinion, rather, first hand experience.

I am currently in HKIS, which many here believe to be filled with rich spoiled kids. It is true that my father did pay for the debenture here, but if there is honestly one thing I have noticed since moving here from New York is that there is not really any extremely snobbish and cocky rich kids. The bottom line is that if you are able to attend these school, you are high-class in Hong Kong. Your kids will be fine in HKIS, I can guarantee it. People hear things, but a lot of them are not true. I enjoy HKIS very much as it is a very competitive academic and athletic school, set in the serene area. It is worth every dime as another thing I have noticed is that you get what you pay for.

Once again however, a lot depends on where you live, if you are living in Kowloon Tong, you wouldn't want to be going to HKIS, and if you were living on Hong Kong Island, you wouldn't want to be going to AIS.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lauwaiding; 13-10-2008 at 10:41 AM.

--------------

Last edited by Vrindavan; 13-10-2008 at 12:15 PM.

First off, all international schools in Hong Kong require English as the primary spoken language throughout school, whether in class or not.
    There are some schools which offer, French, German streams.

And I would not go around saying

Your kids will be fine in HKIS, I can guarantee it.
    There are lots of kids and/or parents who have not adjusted to the brat and snob factor of the school. A lot of it is due to personal situations and the crowd the kids end up with. We know some very well mannered kids from there and we know of parents who could not deal with the new found inner brat personalities that the kids seemed to adopt after spending a few weeks / months in that school.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherAmerican:
    Speaking of "CIS", even though you didn't mean to, another "good" international school is called "Chinese International School." I go to boarding school in the US, and the school consists of about 8-10% Asians. Those from Hong Kong are almost always from "CIS" (Chinese International School). My best guess would be that their system compliments the US system fairly well.
    sorry may i noe which boardin school that is?

I think you have to specify what you're looking for in a school. Some schools offer strict teaching which is like what they had have in the states 100 years ago. Some people like that. Some people focus on a more creative approach. Yes, there are students who speak other languages in international schools here, but generally out of the classrooms. The parents of non-Asians at the Canadian School and HKIS report that the students are speaking Cantonese or other languages on the playground.

lauwaiding...we are thinking of moving our child to HKIS's middle school, but we heard some of the kids there are not very accepting of new kids. what do you think? Also, do you find the teachers are caring?Will Gweilo's feel left out? I know there are only about 5% non-Asians at some other international schools (some ESF, Canadian, Austrailan, etc.) Are there different levels of classes, some more advanced?Thanks so much.