H1N1 Closure - How are schools handling?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

H1N1 Closure - How are schools handling?

The new debate is now about how much better the schools could have been prepared.

Across the ESF systems, chinese / local systems and other international school a lot is being revealed about how much the people who run these institutions really care about the students.

Some schools .. the teachers have packed up, gotten into their grass skirts and broken out the tequila. Other schools.... teachers have made information packets about what would have been covered in the classes and had the parents collect them, so they can home school. A few schools even have the teachers calling the students and parents on a semi-regular basis to see if they need any follow up.

So, given the argument, that we have to pay for the schools, because they have salaries / payroll to make - how much work did the teachers do, during the last two weeks?

Last edited by shri; 24-06-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The new debate is now about how much better the schools could have been prepared.

Across the ESF systems, chinese / local systems and other international school a lot is being revealed about how much the people who run these institutions really care about the students.

Some schools .. the teachers have packed up, gotten into their grass skirts and broken out the tequila. Other schools.... teachers have made information packets about what would have been covered in the classes and had the parents collect them, so they can home school. A few schools even have the teachers calling the students and parents on a semi-regular basis to see if they need any follow up.

So, given the argument, that we have to pay for the schools, because they have salaries / payroll to make - how much work did the teachers do, during the last two weeks?

In Delia the teachers have set work via this internet thingy. The teachers are in at work every day (I know I called in to see one). I guess it is not only their attitude to their students but also how prepared they were in advance. Our contingency plan is all in place for the next few months.

I wouldn't go down blaming teachers on how a school is run. This is a perfect example where leadership is key. In order to have a good response, there has to be a plan and the situation must be tackled as a group and not on an individual basis.

That's the difference between having administrators or leaders in charge of an institution. It takes a lot more out of someone to have the initiative to do something extra if as you've mentioned, the rest are wearing grass skirts and drinking tequila. Not so hard when everyone is doing it and working collectively.

Always keep in mind that in most cases, the lazy teacher and the hardworking one end up with the same salary and the same job the year after. When there are less than stellar teachers in a school, the problem often starts at the top.

hullexile - Does the work match the course work or are these just some games etc to keep the kids busy?

I wouldn't go down blaming teachers on how a school is run. This is a perfect example where leadership is key.
    I meant teachers as in the school staff. I agree that the buck stops at the principal.

However, in some school systems the principal can get way with the excuse "I'm an educator... not an administrator or not a business person".

Giles - I'm in full agreement with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    hullexile - Does the work match the course work or are these just some games etc to keep the kids busy?
    It is based on the work they would have done so it is real study. Teacher is in contact by email as well. Hats off to Delia on this one.

Whether any of the kids are actually doing the work knowing the school won't reopen until September and they will be with a different teacher in a different grade is another question.

our school is doing similar work to Delia, posting online work daily, as teachers are all coming in for our regular full day of work...because of the cumbersome nature of email communication with a class of primary students, we are not introducing NEW topics, but revising previous lessons and assigning more reading and follow-up work, certainly NOT games...i think any parent who pooh-poohs the idea of two weeks of online learning as 'not up to snuff' hasn't got a firm grip on how difficult it is to facilitate lessons when your students are not together in the classroom...

got a couple of PMs saying that this deserves to be a separate topic.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Whether any of the kids are actually doing the work knowing the school won't reopen until September and they will be with a different teacher in a different grade is another question.
    this is the problem we as teachers face...we have to put our faith in our students (as well as the parents) that they WILL see what we are trying to do as being valuable and not simply a PR exercise, and hopefully parents will get involved in helping their children make the most of this less than satisfactory situation...

ESF
    Both my children were set plenty of work.
    My students were all set work for the whole 25 hours they would be missing. Every single child emailed their work back to me.
    It is not easy to set work via the Internet, but there is so much out there for educators that it can be done.
    Shri, are you working on hearsay?

Last edited by pixel; 28-06-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast