what to do for teaching in hongkong.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The OP never said they wanted to teach using English as a medium either. It's a pet peeve of mine when people jump to conclusions. The poster could be native Cantonese, in which case they can write, type, and speak English however the hell they want!

Oh - so they went to India and studied there and then came on an ex-pat message board to ask how to get a teaching job in HK?
    I didn't think of that angle at all - how silly of me.

Unlikely, yes. But who knows, maybe they did do that. Maybe, they have chinese parents working in India. Yes this is unlikely too, but I do not think it's right to assume people's situation. Unlikely yet again, but also actually possible, is that they are better than all of us at English, but use a different English when txting and writing on forums.

We clearly disagree though, so let's just leave it there.

Why are there so many people on this forum whose only objective seems to be to antagonize others? There are so many posts where people just ask simple questions, thinking - foolishly it seems - that this might be a place to get simple answers, and what they get in return are nasty or judgmental replies, often needlessly.

I find it a real shame.

i sent my resumes to many schools but no replies i dont know why?
    There is your answer. Helping someone sometimes doesn't involve telling them everything is great and everything will turn out the way they want.
    In this case apart from some information to help the OP decide what education to take next some people have pointed out the more glaring issue - if you want to be taken seriously as someone applying for a teaching position - then write like someone who seriously wants to be a teacher.
    Frankly - if a little banter swiftly dissuades someone from their chosen career then I'd suggest they didn't want it too much to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by pixel:
    What sort of school do you want to teach in?
    Realistically you need to do your teaching degree. If you are in HK, then you can do a PGDE with HKU.
    Then the uni will help you apply for school in HK.

If you are not in HK, then you need to get your teaching degree and do 2 years teaching before applying, for most English medium / International school.
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion.I am in hongkong.

like i said in my original post...

for international schools, you MUST have a teaching degree.

for local schools, your qualifications would probably be recognised, but unless you speak cantoneses, you will not get hired. they mainly hire overseas teachers to teach english.