what to do for teaching in hongkong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question what to do for teaching in hongkong.

hi,
    i have done my masters in biology with specialization in plant tissue culture from india with a first division,now i want to go in teaching.i can teach chemistry and biology to secondary students and all subjects to primary students.i sent my resumes to many schools but no replies i dont know why?just i want to know what i must do further or any course to get a job.

most international schools will require a teaching degree.

most local schools would accept your qualifications, but i'm guessing you don't speak chinese. they normally only look for overseas teachers to teach english.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    they normally only look for overseas teachers to teach english.
    And we know thats not going to happen, if the standard of English used in Anilaindians GEO post is anything to go by. My 11 year old bi lingual nephew ( HK Chinese ) can type English better, and he's a kid, not a masters grad.

i try to keep in mind that this is a forum and people don't always spell check their posts.... i know i don't. i also don't use proper capitalisation or punctuation, in case you didn't notice(LOL).... but i'm still a damned fine english teacher! (if i do say so myself!)

If that is the case...you (the OP) aren't really proving it then are you? If you can't be arsed to type properly when asking how to get a teaching job in Hong Kong - why would anyone go out of their way to explain to you some of the options you might want to consider regarding experience and / or qualifications you need?

Why all the talk about teaching English? The OP didn't say they wanted to teach English.

He/she specifically said "chemistry and biology to secondary students", so why are they getting attacked for something they haven't asked about?

My input would be that tuition in secondary and primary schools would be in Cantonese, but that you would need a teaching degree even if the language requirement isn't an issue. The non-Cantonese alternative is international schools, but you would still need a teaching degree for these.

Last edited by kryzlowski; 18-07-2009 at 09:52 PM.

I think it was the pish poor punctuation / capitalization. Someone else mentioned that can't be bothered to write properly even though they claim to be a great English teacher. I'm pointing out that if you want to apply to be a teacher - or even canvass opinion about being one on a message board - you should make a bit of effort.

Yeh... but they are not looking to be an English teacher.

It doesn't matter whether you think writing correct English on a forum matters, or if like Carang you don't think it does. The OP does not want to be an English Teacher.

What sort of school do you want to teach in?
    Realistically you need to do your teaching degree. If you are in HK, then you can do a PGDE with HKU.
    Then the uni will help you apply for school in HK.

If you are not in HK, then you need to get your teaching degree and do 2 years teaching before applying, for most English medium / International school.

I wasn't aware that if it wasn't English you were teaching it'd be OK to pretty much write text speak. Explains some of the interviewees I get.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast