What is the going rate for English conversation classes?

What is the going rate for English conversation classes?

Hi,
    I have started seeing the daughter of an acquaintance on a weekly basis for one-to-one English conversation. I had no idea as to the going rate for this in HK so I went with the mother's suggestion of HK$250 per session (each session lasting 60 - 90 mins). On top of this I write up notes of the student's mistakes / vocab that came up during the conversation and email this through with a few tasks for homework. We're talking about 2.5 hours of my time in total.

I'm interested in knowing what other people charge for this and whether I need to be reviewing my rates!

I have 2 years experience of teaching English conversation in schools in Europe and have a degree in Modern Languages from Oxford...so while not a classically trained TEFL teacher, I'm a pretty decent tutor with many very satisfied former students.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Zanzibar

I think you're underselling yourself a bit. I know that ESF teachers with good qualifications moonlight for about HK$500/hr. An Oxbridge degree (assuming you did go to the real Oxford not one of the more recent places "universities" around their that use Oxford in their name) is apparently worth quite a lot in the private English teaching market here. I have been advised (by one such ESF teacher) that I could probably get plenty of business at $400/hr on the back of my Cambridge degree, and that was in Computer Science!

woah $250 plus u do all that extra work?
    definitely selling yourself short..
    i charge $400/hr
    and i dont bring any work home....you should definitely raise your rate.

And before anyone picks me up on...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    around their
    Yes I know, it was late, and I don't actually teach English for money!

But, with that mistake you've proven that you are qualified ...

the wording of this thread gets away from the fact it is free advertising

. . . hey, go easy on the 'mistake' thingy . . . we are only human too! I am a qualified EL teacher . . . def $350 + depending on market . . . just get stuck in and make the job and schedule work for you . . . !

er2

One of my best friends here is a local girl studying Spanish (without a degree yet). Her English is definitively better than the average local grad's, but also certainly worse than mine, and mine isn't that great in the first place (I'm German). She charges 110HK$ per hour. So.... yes. You're way to cheap