PCLL conversion exams

Closed Thread

PCLL conversion exams

Hey, i am currently a student of University of London's external LLB program. I know that if i want to apply for the PCLL in Hong Kong after i recieve my degree i will have to complete the conversion exams. However, i am unsure if the courses offered at the University of London give exemption to some of the courses required. I emailed the PCLL association but they require a submitting of a form before they tell me... so i was wondering if anyone of you guys knew. Thanks

Where are you doing the LLB? In my days, after the ext LLB I did at HKU Space, I went straight into the PCLL. The only requirements were I also completed Evidence and Company Law (not necessarily as part of the LLB, but possible as side courses).

Conversions are for people who are qualified in other jurisdictions and want to practice in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyfool0:
    Where are you doing the LLB? In my days, after the ext LLB I did at HKU Space, I went straight into the PCLL. The only requirements were I also completed Evidence and Company Law (not necessarily as part of the LLB, but possible as side courses).

Conversions are for people who are qualified in other jurisdictions and want to practice in HK.
    I am doing my LLB at UoL. Starting from 2007 everyone who did their LLB outside a university in HK has to do the conversion exams.

rite now my LLB has 6/14 courses for sure.... there are still 8 that i need... and from the two electives i still have i hope to make the most of them..... currently i am missing (from the PCLL conversion exams)

1) Civil Procedure
    2) Criminal Procedure
    3) Evidence
    4) Business Associations
    5) Commercial Law

The Following are the electives i can choose

Administrative law [2660008]
    Civil and criminal procedure [2660004]
    Commercial law [2660017]
    Company law [2660021]
    Conflict of laws [2670014]
    Criminology [2660025]
    EU law‡ [2660024]
    Evidence [2660007]
    Family law [2660019]
    History of English law [2660012]
    Intellectual property [2670026]
    International protection of human rights [2660029]
    Introduction to Islamic law [2660028]
    Jurisprudence and legal theory [2670005]
    Labour law [2660018] Laws Dissertation* [2660200]
    Public international law [2660013]
    Succession [2670016]

You may see that there is a subject "evidence" which i believe allows exemption from the "evidence" in the PCLL program. However i was wondering if the course "Civil and Criminal Procedure" will enable me to be exempted from the subjects "civil procedure" and "criminal procedure".
    Last edited by Clish; 23-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clish:
    Hey, i am currently a student of University of London's external LLB program. I know that if i want to apply for the PCLL in Hong Kong after i recieve my degree i will have to complete the conversion exams. However, i am unsure if the courses offered at the University of London give exemption to some of the courses required. I emailed the PCLL association but they require a submitting of a form before they tell me... so i was wondering if anyone of you guys knew. Thanks
    Just take my word for it.Don't apply at HKU It 's run by a bunchof pompous stuffy arrogant bureaucrats. They're not worth the time or money