HKCEE results - rubbish

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

HKCEE results - rubbish

I'd like to express my absolute disgust at the grades I received for the English Writing and Listening papers. As you can see from this post, my level of English is definitely not a 4 (equivalent to a C), at least not in HK! I'm going to appeal these results right away.. does anyone know if I can request for my submitted papers to be returned to me?

I think in HK they allow a review, though you have to pay, but I doubt if they would return your papers. I don't think we can see from a short message what your level of English is when compared to an examination.

According to the HKCEE guidelines, L4 is a B equivalent to ESL papers worldwide. L3 is a C. It is not easy to get a L4 in the HKCEE. So, don't be too offended. Even a native speaker would have trouble getting a L4 for the HKCEE.

maybe it is your speaking and listening which let you down?

i do find the teaching a bit silly sometimes because it encourages text book learning and makes the locals speak very formally and correctly.

yes it is good english... but it doesnt sound natural because native speakers do not speak like that in conversations.

I've been through the same tragedy and unfortunately, even if you do appeal, it's most likely that they will insist they are correct and you'll have the accept the grades given. I remember some years ago when me and my classmates who've all had excellent english (all studied abroad and schooled under a British curriculum) scored a similar result in the AS Use of English Papers.

I think the issue is that markers are looking for very specific usage of English or points that you have to make in your comprehension or what not. It's become absolutely a scoring game and sticking blindly to a rigid set of rules in the marking scheme when God knows what you've written down is accurate english and deserving of a better grade.

With that said, no wonder HK students always score so low in the English exams.

need to pay to check your paper in the CE.

Quote Originally Posted by united4evra:
    I'd like to express my absolute disgust at the grades I received for the English Writing and Listening papers. As you can see from this post, my level of English is definitely not a 4 (equivalent to a C), at least not in HK! I'm going to appeal these results right away.. does anyone know if I can request for my submitted papers to be returned to me?
    As a fellow Man United fan, let me tell you this: O' & A levels count for jack when you are job hunting, it's at Uni where you really need to get a good 2.1 or 1st class, so this is not worth fussing over.
    Last edited by ray98; 06-08-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks for your care peeps, feel a bit better now my speaking was ok, got a 5 for it. No I don't speak textbook English but maybe I should've done to get a 5*? yea evahflowin you're probably right, should've seen it coming since every other subject is all about scoring points! What peed me off the most though was that i felt I let my school down, everyone thought I'd get a 5* easy. I'm pretty sure my compositions weren't any worse than there so called model essays, at least not in grammar and structure. ray, thats a relief to hear. On a different note Valencia's performance agasint Valencia was pretty encouraging eh

Last edited by united4evra; 07-08-2009 at 12:46 AM.

min, I thought a 5* was an A? or is that like an A+

5* is like an A+ distinguishing the very top students. Only about top 2% of the candidates were awarded this grade.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast