• temporary posting - some fees paid

1 1.89%
  • temporary posting - all fees paid

4 7.55%
Like Tree1Likes

School fees

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We have our debentures covered by the company but we settle all other school fees/costs.
    Without a debenture for a non ESF school it is unlikely you will secure a place.

Quote Originally Posted by rjb1968:
    We have our debentures covered by the company but we settle all other school fees/costs.
    Without a debenture for a non ESF school it is unlikely you will secure a place.
    Well not quite true, there are other non ESF international schools that do not require a debenture.

My company pays all school fees, but not bus and uniform. Im employed permanently. Actually I dont know if I qualify as an 'expat' or 'local', I simply negotiated that they pay the school as part of my employment contract that I signed in HK. I never worked for this company outside of HK before, but a condition of employment was that I had to move to HK to accept the job.

BTW, the Australian school has a new 'Depreciating Debenture' structure starting next year. It is quite confusing and my company has chosen not to pay this and go for the standard capital levy instead. The debenture option doesnt seem to be worthwhile anymore because it depreciates to zero at about the same rate as just paying the capital levy. So why bother paying a huge debenture amount up front?

I am with an Australian company as an expat. I get very comprehensive medical coverage but no assistance with school fees.

When I moved out I was on a "local package" but my salary got a bit of a bump up to cover extra costs. More senior guys got the allowances (housing, medical, education etc) and were on home country contacts.

survey- company-paid school fees

Hi, my husband had his salary cut by over 50% in 1997, and didn't have fees paid for his son's education before that. Now that he is paid at 'local rates', we put had to place our son at a local school. It didn't work out, because he couldn't keep up with the Maths curriculum. like many expat families who have written in about fees issues, we've run the gamut of it all since our son was born in HK in 1995. i'm extremely sick of the education set up in hK! needed a rant...anyway, his company has never paid school fees.
    J

the wiki page on international schools in HK seems to be lacking a few bits of detail!

List of international schools in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mat likes this.