is there any financial support from hk students going to uk uni??

Closed Thread

is there any financial support from hk students going to uk uni??

hello all!
    im just wondering if there is any student loan provided by the hong kong government that would allow me to study undergraduate program in the uk. i looked at the website of student financial assistance agency and was disappointed.
    i have done some research and found out that there is a few scholarship like the prince philip schoalrship and sir edward youde memorial scholarship, which i applied and was rejected.
    thank you!

the answer is no if i remembered correctly..someone pls correct me if otherwise.

have you tried to apply for scholarship or loan directly from the institution that you are enrolled? this is what most of my friends does..

Yes the most likely scholarship (but still not likely) is from the University. The British Council were offering scholarships (well actually paid by the Universities involved but advertised through the British Council).

To be honest if you are a HK resident then the cost of the fees is only part of the picture, you will have to build in living costs and flights as well. The UK rules on working as a student are much more flexible though.

Last edited by hullexile; 30-11-2009 at 08:43 PM.

yea the univerisities i applied to offer some scholarships which cover a tiny part of the course fee.
    some uni in uk has given me conditional offer, but i cant afford to go to it as my only hope on the scholarship has now vanished.
    thanks anyway!

depending on which university that you're heading to -

cambridge: yes, you can try the prince philip scholarship or jardine
    oxford: jardine
    London: usually no scholarship
    warwick/bath/bristol: you can check out scholarships offer by university to international students. but they usually cover up to 1/3 of tuition

hope it helps

Education UK - Innovative. Individual. Inspirational.

The above is a useful site for scholarships from the Universities.

The short answer is (typically) no, unless you're brilliant and won yourself the Hang Seng, Jardine (Oxbridge) etc. Check this list:
    Scholarships - Education - British Council Hong Kong If you're American, and the UK university is duly recognized by the DoEd in Washington, you might consider taking out a Federal Loan.

Otherwise, chin up! There are plenty of other opportunities. The UK doesn't always pay off.