Too much, too young

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Too much, too young

Great little piece by Alex Lo in today's SCMP:

Latest Hong Kong, China & World News | SCMP.com

"Too much too young

Updated on Dec 03, 2009
    Hong Kong parents are sick, sick, sick. Many project their own profound ignorance, twisted values and phobias onto their children in the hope of turning them into geniuses or CEOs, giving them a head start on everyone else or at least making them into their clones.

Predictably, this translates into heavy school work coupled with an insane amount of extracurricular activities. What's a kid to do after school? Take extra language lessons, learn two or more musical instruments and start doing maths a grade or two ahead of the rest. Children in poor countries are often made to work long hours; we should count ourselves lucky we make our children study for those hours.

This kind of all-work-and-no-play lifestyle for children has gone on for years, but the children who are subject to this de facto abuse are getting younger and younger. Not content with a normal kindergarten session, many parents are now sending their children to a second school in the afternoon. So now we have three- to six-year-olds who work longer hours than you or me at the office each day. And they may well have more homework to do.

The latest trend of enrolling children in two kindergartens stems from the free voucher scheme introduced by the government two years ago. It means: pay one, get one free, courtesy of the government. I do not blame the scheme for causing this new trend. It has many flaws, but one cannot argue against a programme that tries to extend free or subsidised schooling to kindergarten. It's the right thing for the government to do.

But, like everything else about the government's education reform, poor planning and implementation enable vested interests and parents to twist them into more child torture. The pre-primary voucher scheme entitles each child attending a non-profit kindergarten offering a Chinese-language curriculum - subject to a price ceiling - to receive a voucher worth HK$12,000.

So, parents send their children to a local school in the morning for free or the cost is partially subsidised, depending on the fees. And they use their own money to pay for an international or English-language kindergarten in the afternoon. Far from discouraging this practice, many kindergartens actively encourage it by ending some morning sessions early to enable pupils to change uniforms and prepare for afternoon classes at another school. And why not? Everyone gets a bigger slice of the pie.

An anonymous parent defended the practice on the parenthood website baby-kingdom.com: "After leaving half-day school, children raised by helpers and grannies usually just watch TV, play video games or take afternoon naps for the rest of the day. It is time wasting." Perhaps he should spend more quality time with his own children.

The practice also points to something deeply ugly about many Hong Kong people. When there is a free lunch, not taking it would be a crime. If you send your child to an international or English-language kindergarten, you forfeit your voucher. What fool would do that? Doubling kindergarten sessions can be seen as an easy way out of the dilemma, even if that means experimenting with your child's development.

Most parents mean well. They may well produce superior human beings this way. But I rather think they will create more stunted children who - when they reach teenage years - become profoundly incurious, self-centred, emotionally underdeveloped and lack independence. When they reach adulthood, their problems and inadequacies are transferred to the job market and the larger economy - a lack of entrepreneurship, curiosity, and communication and other interpersonal skills, as well as an inability to think independently and take risks. The life of the mind is not cultivated by mindless drilling. Nowhere else is Philip Larkin's infamous poem, This Be The Verse, truer than here:

"They f*** you up, your mum and dad.

They may not mean to, but they do.

They fill you with the faults they had

And add some extra, just for you."

Alex Lo is a senior writer at the Post. [email protected]"

Blimey!

I feel sorry for the poor little buggers.

Do these kids have time alocated to sleep?

About time someone said it and Alex pulled no punches. My wife is a teaching assistant in a kindergarten and she feels sorry that these kids never get a break, shuffled from one class to the next.

Not much.

Anyway Alex Lo should remember the end of the Larkin poem:

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself.

I too agree and find it appalling that HK kids are put through this. It's a vicious cycle though and it's exacerbated by these tiered schools. I see it all the time, kid comes home with less than stellar grades and the parent is on the phone immediately booking another tutor.

This was the prize quote for me:

"An anonymous parent defended the practice on the parenthood website baby-kingdom.com: "After leaving half-day school, children raised by helpers and grannies usually just watch TV, play video games or take afternoon naps for the rest of the day. It is time wasting." Perhaps he should spend more quality time with his own children."

And we all remember what a mellow, well-balanced character Philip Larkin was.

But didn't we have something similar on here a while ago where there was a discussion on the most academic kindergartens for their 3 year old? I would support this cramming and insane driving of the kids if the end result was positive - but can we really say the kids in Hong Kong are more intelligent, creative, problem solving, independent thinkers? Don't think so. Are they happier or does that not come into the concept of good parenting?

Interesting take but a bit harsh on saying Hong Kong parents are sick. You see some of the same sort of things in North America with kids however the main difference there is that most parents make sure their younger children are getting enough sleep. In North America, there are many parents who let their children value-program by watching too much TV and then too many electronic games as well as too many activities.

There is definitely something going on in the culture here where parents of children have to ensure their kids get music etc to get into the better schools that ensure they get into the better universities. There is something wrong with the perception that the university makes the person rather than the person makes something out of the program. This thinking also fuels the desire for the early education jump start. Hey expats hiring here often are focused on the university more than the person! See posts on this site at times!

Does two kindergartens lead to lack of creativity etc in the workplace etc? The problem more likely rests in the perception of parents about opportunities for their kids and the reality that if you are not in the best schools when you are young your chances for a good job in future here in HK are limited.

I see in some businesses here some very skilled people underemployed and some might be due to money for education etc.

If there is one thing Hong Kong can do for its people is provide more education for its youth. The market rating of the cost of higher education degrees like MBAs may make economic sense for the universities as the funds from government won't pay all the bills but for me it is short sighted thinking that I see taking place back home in BC.

Last edited by Football16; 03-12-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    This was the prize quote for me:

"An anonymous parent defended the practice on the parenthood website baby-kingdom.com: "After leaving half-day school, children raised by helpers and grannies usually just watch TV, play video games or take afternoon naps for the rest of the day. It is time wasting." Perhaps he should spend more quality time with his own children."
    Yes, God forbid that a three year old should waste time enjoying themselves. I mean what sort of message would that give the kid about life?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast