HKU MBA or HKUST MBA

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I was faced with a similar decision on which program I should chose. I finally decided to go to HKUST, since it was the best school for my requirements (however everyone might have different needs) and because I believe it is the best business school in Asia.

- the school is very international, over 80% of the student are not from Hong Kong, it ranks 7 for international experience in the FT.
    - the faculty is of very high quality, all professors earned their degrees on top universities.
    - the school really excels in finance, if you seek a career in finance don't look further.
    - the school has a very impressive network of partners schools where you can go on exchange like Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, LBS, Kellogg, CEIBS, PKU, IIM, etc... (no other school in Asia has it)
    - students get invited to top notch case competitions in the US and perform usually very well (one team won this year), in two occasions the teams from Harvard were beaten (I don’t think other school from Hong Kong were invited).
    - some employers in Hong Kong only look at HKUST and overseas schools but no other locals schools.
    - the curriculum is very flexible you can choose between 12 and 16 month and more than 40% of the curriculum are electives.

Hope that helps. Finally it is a personal decision and you have to chose the program which suits your needs the most.

Cheers

panda,

Do you know how much does it costs to do a MBA with HKUST? Thanks

The FT MBA Program costs are HKD 249,000. Many people in my class got a scholarship between HKD 25,000 and HKD 75,000. In addition there are scholarships up to HKD 100,000 from private donors available, but those are mostly for people from HK or the PRC. Are you already in Hong Kong and working? If yes, you also might want to look at the part-time program or the dual degree program for an MBA and a MSC in Finance.

You can find the details here:
    http://www.bm.ust.hk/mba

Last edited by panda05; 27-07-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Red face

Panda,

I'm in Spore at the moment. I'm moving to HK to work in Aug. The MBA program is actually for my husband. I've completed my Masters last year in Sydney. The full time mba at hkust that you mentioned is the program that has the tie up with kellog?

The tie up is between the executive MBA and Kellogg. The professors of the MBA and the executive MBA program are the same, but the costs are much different. If your husband already has management experience he can also consider the executive MBA.

We have the opportunity in the FT MBA to go to Kellogg for exchange and some professors and the head of the MBA program are from Kellogg.

Last edited by panda05; 27-07-2006 at 06:29 PM.

The HKU MBA program seems to highlight their 'partnership' with London Business School and Columbia Business School - what exactly is the difference between their program and an exchange program? It seems the same to me but for the alumni status at LBS - is it a big difference?

What profile students does HKUST need? Can someone give me baseline before i can apply there? profile by means their educational background how muhc academics? how much work ex how much gmat n all tat needed to get an entry in to HKUST? pls highlight me on this issue...

From HKUST's homepage:

The HKUST MBA seeks to bring together a diverse group of participants with a variety of abilities, experiences and academic backgrounds. Applicants are expected to meet the following requirements:

-strong bachelor degree; and
    -satisfactory GMAT score; and
    -minimum one year's full-time work experience after first degree; and
    -a good TOEFL result if English was not the language of instruction at undergraduate level

Student Background
    Class Size 60
    Female 50%
    Avg Age 27 (24-32)
    Avg Work Exp 5 Yrs (3-9)
    70-80% non-HK Nationality
    Represent 20+ Nationalities

Academic Background
    Arts 11%
    Business 35%
    Computer Science 4%
    Engineering 28%
    Science 12%
    Others 10%

Professional Field
    Accounting/Finance 13%
    Consulting 17%
    General Mgmt/Entrepreneur 6%
    IT/Engineering 14%
    Operation/Project Mgmt 14%
    Sales/Marketing 21%
    Others 15%

In general they take a holistic approach looking at your overall profile, which means that a not so strong GMAT could be offset by more working and management experience and vice versa.

Last edited by panda05; 28-07-2006 at 09:21 AM.

im from an engineering background with good acads have done good in my co-curricular activities......doing a job but tats in imports way differnt from engineering........will prepare for GMAT n quite sure to get a good score.......so with this kind of overall view......what do u suggest me can i get an admit into HKUST? pls give me a answer coz yet no one has been able to deliver the right answer to me........pls i cannot expect answer u can try......give me a response as to my chances? coz i will be with jus 1 yr of work ex age 22.......any advice or suggestions? n i want to do MBA in Finance...

You have to apply for the 2007 intake, by that time you are already one year older. Your work experience is borderline, that is why you should try to get a good GMAT and a convincing application package to make up for it. You will be asked to write a short essay for the application and you have to do an interview with one of the officers. Your chances of admission will depend on how well you do in it too. So, it is hard for me to give you an answer. However, if you have good academics, have some extra curricular activities and do well in the GMAT and the other parts of the application your chances should be good. What school was your undergrad from? What country are your from?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast