diploma in web design and development

Closed Thread

diploma in web design and development

Hi,

I'd like to take a course about web design and development, looking into both as a career opportunity and i've looked into the welkin computer training courses but before i make a definate decision i'm hoping for input from other people, anyone who's taken any course and gone on to work in the field... do you have any advice?

what course is best, from where...

Thanks for any help!

Unless you are a complete beginner who wants to learn a little bit about web design and development, I would not recommend spending time and money on a course to get a potentially useless diploma.

Especially when hiring web designers, employers care more about a good looking portfolio than certificates.

The problem is as geo-seb alludes to, is that web design is still a moving target, and with HTML5, still with a bumpy future. This means teaching institutions will always be behind current technology and methods that make design easier and more powerful.

There is also the twists that many large companies still use a particular version of one browser that significantly causes difficulties when trying to implement newer more powerful interactions and presentations of information.

What this usually means is that you might want to choose a graphic design course to learn the basics - i.e. try to ignore the technological constraints, then go through all the training on W3Schools Online Web Tutorials to how to get from your design to a completed piece of work.

hmm, yea i know the constraints with technology moving faster then teaching methods.. but i have no confidence in learning on my own... even a basics course might help me get on track.

A diploma is only really useful if you have a portfolio to back it. If you're looking for a course to teach you the skills, you could probably save youself a lot of money by taking a course that does not provide a diploma. Of course, it depends who issues the diploma in the first place as to how useful it is...

When I hire designers, I first look at what they can do - i.e a few of the sites they've made - and then look to see if they have the technical side covered - i.e know what a SQL injection attack is.

So if it's just for content that's one thing - but I'm not sure how many doors it will open as a 'piece of paper'.

Check out Welkin for classes
    Welkin Systems Limited - IT Training & System Solutions

if you are a permanent resident, you can apply for CEF funding. I ended up paying only $1080 for my $5400 graphic design class.

i am looking more for a course that will teach me all the important basics as well as maybe give me a start to a portfolio. i'm wondering if anyone knows of a course that fits that bill?

i've been researching of course but i'd love some feedback from people who've taken courses and can tell me if they found them useful.