Studying in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Studying in Hong Kong?

I've just completed high school (on my gap/sleep year) and I was wondering if anyone will give me their input on colleges here in HK. A little background about me. I went through K-11th grade in the States. My family moved here my junior year so I spent the remaining year at an international school. I'll be doing my undergrad, majoring in either business or economics. A few of the colleges I'm looking into are

HKU
    HKUST
    Chinese
    City
    Baptist

The reason I'm applying is because of the cheap tuition rates (relative to the ones in the States) and well, I've fallen in love with this city. How hard is it to get into these unis applying through the "Non-Jupas" route? Any input from people who have or are currently attending is greatly appreciated. Thanks

bump.. anyone?

What is K12 and what is your junior year?

HKU is *generally* the most internationally recognised (i.e. people might have heard of it) but isnt necessarily the best for whatever course you want to take.

The masters at uni's in HK arent hard to get into if you have, say, a 2:1 or 2:1(hons) or above from a decent university. You also have to be proficient in whatever language they teach in. I guess for the undergrad u just need a decent result at whatever you studied at college, whether it be IB, A levels or whatever you study in the states.

All the unis have the general requirements on their websites. What u have to consider is what you want your CV to look like and whats the best way of achieving this. An education split across the world isn't going to hurt, but if someone has never heard of your uni, regardless of how good it actually is, they are going to judge it on how good it sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Monkey:
    What is K12 and what is your junior year?

HKU is *generally* the most internationally recognised (i.e. people might have heard of it) but isnt necessarily the best for whatever course you want to take.

The masters at uni's in HK arent hard to get into if you have, say, a 2:1 or 2:1(hons) or above from a decent university. You also have to be proficient in whatever language they teach in. I guess for the undergrad u just need a decent result at whatever you studied at college, whether it be IB, A levels or whatever you study in the states.

All the unis have the general requirements on their websites. What u have to consider is what you want your CV to look like and whats the best way of achieving this. An education split across the world isn't going to hurt, but if someone has never heard of your uni, regardless of how good it actually is, they are going to judge it on how good it sounds!
    Thanks for the reply.

Junior year is the 11th grade of high school. I don't know what that translates to in the HK/British system but the American system starts from kindergarten and ends in 12th grade.

Can you explain what CV is? I've fufilled the requirements listed on the website, which isn't much because they just asked for the SAT. I'd just like to get an idea of how selective they are and how the social atmosphere is like. Will an above average test score, decent performance in high school (upward trend) and proficiency in English be enough?

Talking

cv = resume
    if you wanna go into business, HKUST or HKU have the best 'reputation' (don't know about the content though

CV - curriculum vitae (latin) - life story/ resume etcetera

The course content is pretty good, but its not as challenging as say, at a top us or uk university. The students from my experience are all friendly and make a real effort to include everyone, though they tend to fall into cantonese pretty often which is a problem if you dont speak it. But, I dont know about the other unis, but at HKU english is all you need to get by academically.

The resources available seem to be very good here, at HKU the libraries (english content) and electronic resources far surpass what you'd get in any uni in the uk (other than maybe oxford or cambridge).

But what would peter griffin be doing in a university anyway? Surely thats more stewies realm....

Wink

It's nice to know that I'm not the only Family Guy fan on here.

I'm guessing you did your undergrad at HKU. How long did it take for them to notify you on your acceptance? According to the site, it can be anywhere from June-September which is really late for me because I have to give my answer to US unis before April. I'm not sure about my chances since Non-Jupas criterias are a bit different and there aren't any statistics to refer to. How would you describe the caliber of Non-Jupas students and the chances for admissions?

I did my UGrad at University College London (UCL) and as i finally decided on coming to HK to study a bit late i rushed my application, and failed to submit all the documents on time. (I blame the royal mail).

They were very accomodating though and it all worked out so thats all good. Apparently every year at HKU they try and raise the bar a little bit to increase the qulaity of thestudents, and everyone on my course has a fairly good undergrad degree, though not necessarily from a top uni.

Ive no idea what non jupas means btw. If you apply and your a solid candidate you should get in. Paying international fees always helps

Ok...I can't wait to go to uni or work...I'm just starting year 10 this year!!

Smile Hkust / Hku

Peter, for Business programmes, I think HKUST is a good choice, but you've to be ready for stressful study.. I think it's their style. Another good thing for their programme is, every business student can go for exchange if they want to, and I think it's really a good practice.

HKU is a better known university in the world compared to others, but honestly their business faculty may not be the best. However, I guess as an undergraduate student you'd appreciate HKU the most. It gives you time and speace to develop on your own internet and pace. It has a relatively better international environment than other universities, too

But well, I probably have some personal bias Non-Jupas isn't that hard, universities here love taking students with foreign background. Good luck mate!!

Cheers, Blom

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast