Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By er2

MPhil at CUHK

Closed Thread

MPhil at CUHK

Hi!

I'm in the process of finalizing my application for CUHK (MPhil) and, slightly worried as I don't speak Cantonese or Mandarin. Looking at the previous students, I didn't see any foreigners and so I'm thinking either the program is really selective for people outside of Hong Kong OR not many foreigners apply... also, they only accept 1 Mphil and 4 PhD candidates last year. Has anyone applied for/been accepted/rejected from an MPhil program at CUHK?

Thanks for any insight you may offer!

Not too many foreigners (other than mainlanders, which are considered to be "international applicants".....) apply, plus the MPhil is much more popular with locals than the PhD (those looking for PhDs will - in Science - usually get a local MPhil and then apply overseas for PhD programs).

I applied for and got accepted into a PhD program. That said, I went there in person the summer before, talked to potential supervisors about what I wanted to do, and apparently fooled one of them into thinking that I was an excellent student ;~). I strongly recommend you to contact your potential supervisor beforehand (If you cannot visit since it is so late, I'd write a letter. They're just too quick deleting emails....)

No Cantonese/Mandarin as a beginner is no problem. People will appreciate if you put some effort into learning, though.

axell likes this.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! That's great advice for meeting the summer beforehand. It is quite late now in my case for this admissions round, though I sent a draft of my research proposal via email to CUHK, HKU and PolyU. Unfortunately, though I received encouragement to apply for 2011(it was past the first round) and great feedback on the proposal from the latter two, I didn't receive I reply from CUHK. So, I decided to submit the application it in any case. I definitely plan on learning as much Cantonese/Mandarin as I can, so it's great to hear your reply on that! I guess just crossing fingers at this point!