IELTs/Native English tutor wanted

Closed Thread

IELTs/Native English tutor wanted

I'm desperately looking for an expat in HK to help me boost up my spoken English from score 6.5 to 7 in a short period of time. Sorry! I can only give you little money and I can teach you Cantonese in return when my IELTs is finished. In addition, my family and I can show you around in HK.

If you've got free time and can offer your help to me, please reply asap Thank you

I think it is more about giving the 'right' answers and playing the game to move your grade up 1/2 a point. Also a little luck to get a good topic in part 2 and 3.

There is quite a lot of material online which is helpful. See here for example.

Hi Renee
    I took IELTS this winter and though my english is not so good, I got 8.0 for speaking. My tip is to act relaxed, confident and keep telling the interviewer whatever comes to your mind. Even if it's barely related to your main topic. Mine was benefits of employing old people. If you haven't given much thought about is, then how on Earth can you come up with a structured 5 min answer??? So I kept telling him about my imaginary grandma and how she tried to fing a job...
    Good luck to you! and practice, practice, practice.
    Oh and right before you go, start talking to other students or even to yourselkf in English to warm up and relax! It worked for me!)

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Your spoken English is so good to get score 8. I have spent most of time practising the Speaking test and I do hope that things will work out this time.

I don't know if you've done it yet Renee, but here's my tips

- they focus a lot on getting the right pronounciation/enunciation - the examiner I had almost sounded fake as he had to put on this really cheesy and formal accent

- the answers are not that important - I actually blabbered on about something completely unrelated, but I think this showed the examiner that I had a natural grasp of English, so I did very well

- dont be too phased by the examiner's reaction to what you say - they are trained to keep a straight face, so will often not show much reaction to what you say

Hope that helps you.

Most importantly - act natural!

Lightbulb help with ESL English

i will be returning to DB from 6 July, so if you would like to contact me, I can offer ESL lessons, as i have training and experience. Good luck meanwhile, if you need a teacher earlier.
    Jane