Like Tree8Likes

Home Schooling in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205

    A quick Google shows why "home schooling" continues to be illegal in Hong Kong: in the vast majority of cases it is a mechanism for parents to provide religious indoctrination for their children at the expense of the knowledge and ability for independent rational thought that a good school system would impart.

    KIA,

    I'm surprised that you allow your site to be used for the promotion of illegal activities. Are you able to give us all some guidance on which other illegal activities we could promote?

    Can I sell advertise dope for sale in the classifieds?
    What about knuckledusters?


  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Veggie, HK
    Posts
    1,051

    >> quick Google shows

    many home schoolers are atheists or non-religious families.

    >> continues to be illegal in Hong Kong:

    yes yes, homeschooling is definitely bad, it is unfair to the children.

    majority of family employed private tutor for their children after school hour should be illegal as well

    And all the parents assisting their children homework at home should be illegal as well

    Besides, all children' learning activities at home or outside the school premises should be considered illegal as well.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    majority of family employed private tutor for their children after school hour should be illegal as well

    And all the parents assisting their children homework at home should be illegal as well

    Besides, all children' learning activities at home or outside the school premises should be considered illegal as well.
    Somebody hasn't been taking their pills today ...


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Not friggin' Lamma no more!
    Posts
    2,181

    ...Snip...

    Last edited by Lammarite; 06-07-2008 at 08:38 PM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934

    I don't think I use very much of the knowledge I gained at school in my day to day life these days. But I'm certain that what I learned about social interactions by being in a school, with other (different) people has had a lifetime's worth of value. That's what you lose through home schooling. While I would not deny anyone the right to do their best by their kids (and hence tend to think making home schooling illegal is not a great idea) I would encourage anyone thinking of home schooling to think about what their kids will miss out on by taking this route.


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    yes yes, homeschooling is definitely bad, it is unfair to the children.

    majority of family employed private tutor for their children after school hour should be illegal as well

    And all the parents assisting their children homework at home should be illegal as well

    Besides, all children' learning activities at home or outside the school premises should be considered illegal as well.
    You are obviously a few sandwiches short of a picnic yourself - were you home-schooled?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Veggie, HK
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    A quick Google shows why "home schooling" continues to be illegal in Hong Kong: in the vast majority of cases it is a mechanism for parents to provide religious indoctrination for their children at the expense of the knowledge and ability for independent rational thought that a good school system would impart.

    KIA,

    I'm surprised that you allow your site to be used for the promotion of illegal activities. Are you able to give us all some guidance on which other illegal activities we could promote?

    Can I sell advertise dope for sale in the classifieds?
    What about knuckledusters?
    my post is to response to your sensible post only, because i agree with you

    sorry to myself that i am wasting my time

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mid Levels HK
    Posts
    6

    Perhaps you would like to share why the private as in paid for schools are so wonderful. Perhaps I don't believe in 'your god, any god'. It would be interesting to know exactly where you get your facts from that if I educate my child at home it is highly likely that I will make her worship the devil.

    Perhaps this schooling system does not work for my child whom is not an academic superstar but rather creative. In my experience, children here are not allowed to have a voice in the classroom or question their piers.

    Perhaps I am done with the systems here that ignore spoiled children that have far too much cash, meth and coke habits sitting in the class room with my child.

    I am certain that if I would want to purchase dope or better still cocaine I would get it from one of the kids in the international schools.

    I hardly think that having an open forum is advertising, really get a grip.

    You can have your soap box back now.

    Last edited by festivalfaery; 25-10-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: repeat sentence

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,622
    You can have your soap box back now.
    A soap box that no one thought about posted on for the past two years...

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    A soap box that no one thought about posted on for the past two years...
    Well, since you found it and i found it, obviously it is still a relavant topic for debate even in 2010 (or in my case, 2011)

    Yes, Homeschooling is STILL illegal in HK. Locals can't. However, the EDB turns a blind eye to expats because expats cant enroll their kids in local schools. That's right.

    if your child does not speak Cantonese or mandarin, very few local schools will accept your childs application. the English medium schools all have waiting lists for several years...IF you get a spot at all. In the meantime, homeschooling may well be your only option until your child can be placed, and that may take years. My child cannot be placed until 2012, so homeschooling is our only option, as the local schools in our district have zero support services for non Chinese families.

    I actually work in a local school myself as an English teacher and my own school will not accept my child!

    BTW, for those thinking that children will be less indocrinated in religion at a local school, think again. 90% of local schools are run by churches, mosks, temples, and other religious sects. there are very few Government schools. My school, for example, is public, and yet my students are lectured at DAILY about Christ and God (and not even a fun Christ....an angry Christ that will smite you if you don't do your homework and obey the rules). So much for THAT argument!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast